NEED HELP DOES MY OSCAR HAVE PARASITES

• Zerø
  • Zerø's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Zerø created the topic: NEED HELP DOES MY OSCAR HAVE PARASITES

So my Oscar has gradually developed a thin white slime on his head area, and he is having some labored breathing. I'm not sure if this is a fungal infection as he has not been scratching against anything and it is not a cotton like consistency. I do not believe it's parasites because he has had a healthy appetite and has normal behavior other than that. He is in a 55 with an albino female Oscar (don't give me crap for the size I'm upgrading as soon as I move and have a larger room) the parameters are stable. Ammonia is close to zero and nitrates nitrites are as well. I always do weekly water changes due to the heavy bio load and I added Furan 2 to treat what I assume is body slime. I was using melafix for it's anti fungal properties but wasn't getting much of a result. Here is a photo of what I'm dealing with. I'm not sure if I should be using api general cure instead. drive.google.com/file/d/0B25c5peLKuy1M2lnWXpWVnMzWGs/view?usp=sharing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: NEED HELP DOES MY OSCAR HAVE PARASITES

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/3UVSwNkdhUEfC3AIbPSYnF401Phomn96UTZQzVTLhSz3vqBifAejI9PBKo0Cndnfg-hOvdpv=w1313-h645{IMG} not sure if pic will show... but yes, those white stuff at head need some attention...[IMG] lh3.googleusercontent.com/3UVSwNkdhUEfC3AIbPSYnF401Phomn96UTZQzVTLhSz3vqBifAejI9PBKo0Cndnfg-hOvdpv=w1313-h645{IMG }

not sure if pic will show... but yes, those white stuff at head need some attention...

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: NEED HELP DOES MY OSCAR HAVE PARASITES

Welcome to OFL. That white area is an indicator that your water is in far poorer condition than you think. Depending on your Ph level, even a slight showing of ammonia will produce those very marks. Its actually a precursor to hole in the head. Medications will be rendered useless in anything less than super clean water. Fact is, a weekly water change in 55g with 2 Oscars is nowhere near enough to keep water healthy. Therefore, you need a drastic increase in water changes, both from a volume and frequency standpoint. 75% every 2 days. Its not parasite related, its toxins in the water

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Zerø
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Zerø replied the topic: NEED HELP DOES MY OSCAR HAVE PARASITES

I appreciate the input, although I was convinced by my test results that my water quality was ok, should I just do a large water change and remove the Furan 2?

• Zerø
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Also personally not thinking​ this is HITH since his sensory pits are looking fine and in addition to the white patches he is breathing heavily but again I may be incorrect

Its not HITH yet, but will be without some heavy doses of clean water. Heavy breathing is also an indication of decaying water quality. Its not biologically possible to maintain good water with your fish stock in 55g and a weekly water change. Toxins build fast as there is limited water volume to dilute said toxins. Having readings of ammonia and nitrite, even slight is also a sign that your bio filter is being overwhelmed. What brand and size of filter do you have?

• Zerø
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I have w penguin filter for 75 gallon, I checked my ammonia levels and they are zero and same for my nitrates/nitrates. I use carbon and aquatic plants plus weekly 40% water changes to keep the parameters stable. So I would say it is possible to keep the water a decent quality based on my api master test kits reading. The Furan 2 seems to have cleared up that excess slime, it's becoming less noticeable and has disappeared in some spots after administering the second dose.

• Zerø
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Also thought I'd note that they have a good diet, I feed them cichlid gold and earthworms and that the albino is not breathing heavily

Alright, I dont know how to make this clearer to you. You are vastly underfiltered. Filter ratings dont apply to tanks holding large messy cichlids, of which Oscar is at the top of the heap.You need filtration that is rated at over 200gals, with large capacity for biomedia. Canister filter is the thing you need. Your filter is not poor quality, it just cant handle the bioload of 2 Oscars. It cant even handle 1 Oscar. Carbon shouldnt be an everyday component of the filter. It does more harm than good. You cant have zero nitrate in an established system. Zero ammonia and nitrite is always the goal. Nitrate is final product of the completed nitrogen cycle, and you have to have some showing. Every fish has different tolerance to toxins. Your gasping fish is feeling the effects, the other not yet. You are of course welcome to maintain the tank as you see fit, but your fish are not doing well with a weekly water change of 40%. You cant see the issue, but long term exposure to poor water will have chronic effects in the future.

• Zerø
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Alright, I don't know how to make this clearer to you. My ammonia reading is ZERO. I use a professional test kit. Same for my nitrates and nitrites. My filter is made for up to 75 gallon and obviously based on my test results my water quality is fine, and since medicating the water I've seen improvement.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds