Parasite/HITH ? Hole in Oscars Head

• Chilli
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chilli created the topic: Parasite/HITH ? Hole in Oscars Head

Hi Guys
It's been a while since I've had to post a question, mainly cause my Oscar has been doing Great, until recently I have noticed some Holes in his head, it started with one hole but inside that hole there is a tiny needle size hole. I treated with Melafix which seemed to make it heal up, but now the hole is back to its original size, and there is another 3 holes starting to surface on the Oscars head. I'm stumped because my water is perfect.
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
10 Nitrate
His in a 125 gallon by himself
I do Water Changes every week with a gravel Vacuum. I thought it may be a scratch from the gravel at first because of the digging but now with more holes I don't think it is.
The LFS said it may be a parasite due to feeding him pellets ? I thought that was strange but I am running out of ideas, started treatment with salt now to see if that helps, any advice would be much appreciated
Thank You
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 599

Suprd71 replied the topic: Parasite/HITH ? Hole in Oscars Head

Does look to be a scape/minor injury of sorts. If a parasite, it isn't from pellets. Water is clean, no issue there. I have done this successfully many times.... in 1/2 cup of distilled water, dissolve 3/4 tsp of pure Epsom salt. Whatever your fish eats as a regular meal, saturate that in the salt water. Feed only that for 5 consecutive days.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 257

DRACO replied the topic: Parasite/HITH ? Hole in Oscars Head

just want to check, is the scrape same location left side and right side? if it does, i agree with Suprd71... it is more of injury.... there may be a sharp object where your fish loves to sneak-in...

• Chilli
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Chilli replied the topic: Parasite/HITH ? Hole in Oscars Head

Thanks for input guys,
It is the same location on the right side and left side, so it could be him scraping his head on something, the wounds are still there maybe a little bit better but hard to tell. Sorry for such a late response finally back home with wifi

Hobbskg replied the topic: Parasite/HITH ? Hole in Oscars Head

Hello Oscar lovers, I'm pretty sure my fish has hole in the head and pop eye. Can anyone recommend a good site to purchase antibiotics at for fish. I think this site recommended penicillin or a tetracycline. I did read the Epson salt remedy listed and may pick some up on the way home tonight to try. The profile picture is recent shot of his eye.

Thank you for any advice!

• Thank you received: 599

Suprd71 replied the topic: Parasite/HITH ? Hole in Oscars Head

First thing to realize and address is the cause. That would most likely be poor water quality. You have to have the fish in pristine water. 0 ammonia and nitrite, nitrate under 10ppm. Meds wont work in iffy water. Clean water on its own should make for great improvement.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 6.266 seconds