Picky Eater

• Joshuaharestad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Joshuaharestad created the topic: Picky Eater

Hi All!

My baby Oscar, Harley, was given some worms from the yard the other day. Now he/she refuses to eat anything but worms or crickets. Should I force the issue by only offering cichlid sticks until hungry enough to eat them? Or are worms a good main food source? Harley has started jumping from the water over and over until getting a worm. Spoiled fish. I know Oscars need a varied diet, so I am also open to suggestions of other easy safe foods for a voracious little oscar.

Thank you!
Joshua

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 599

Suprd71 replied the topic: Picky Eater

Worms should be treats only. A high quality pellet is the staple. With that the fish gets a good balance of vitamin, protein and mineral. An Oscar can be unbelievably stubborn. Don't be surprised if it goes many days, even weeks waiting for worms. You gotta be strong, the fish will eat what you offer eventually. They are very smart too. Offer some pellets, give him a few minutes. If he doesn't eat them, remove from the water. Repeat this process daily, or twice daily until he figures out that is all there is to eat. Freeze dried krill is a superb treat for a young Oscar. High in protein and fiber. Oscar needs veg content in the diet. I have found that kelp wafers make good veg additions. Try some fruit. Orange, mango, banana. No mammal meat, no feeder fish.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Joshuaharestad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Joshuaharestad replied the topic: Picky Eater

Thank you very much for the information! I am new to oscar ownership so I appreciate it! Looks like the little guy is going to have to wait for some more appropriate food. :)

• Thank you received: 257

DRACO replied the topic: Picky Eater

Suprd71 got you covered. any update ?

• Joshuaharestad
  • Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Joshuaharestad replied the topic: Picky Eater

I've got him on a diet of cichlid pellets now, with occasional worms for treats. His colors are looking nicer.:)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.700 seconds