Hole in the Head

• acdcking12
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

acdcking12 created the topic: Hole in the Head

So I have the full size Oscar that I fed earth worms for 2 years. So I posted a pic last year and someone told me that it was HITH. Not from the quality of the water, but his diet.

I have continued every other day water changes, and switched him to a hikari tablet food. He doesnt exactly like them, but he eats them. But I am not exactly seeing improvement. Is this something that is going to take a long time to fix?

Here is a pic from today.

Anything else I can do for him?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 599

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hole in the Head

Thats a bit of erosion but not quite hith. Its minor at this point. You have clean water, diet has improved somewhat. What exact kind of Hikari pellets are you using? You could still add some variety to the diet, and include a vitamin supplement. Boyds Vitachem works well. A few drops soaked into a meal 2-3x weekly. Some Oscars show that erosion, regardless of care. Often comes and goes, or at least varies in degrees of severity. You did well to get him off the worms, thats a good step forward already.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 418

OFL replied the topic: Hole in the Head

I'd say it's fairly common for Oscars to have what I've always known as "nasal erosion". The good thing is I can't see anything on the Oscars had which is where this disease normally occurs so I don't think you've really got anything to worry about.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• acdcking12
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

acdcking12 replied the topic: Hole in the Head

Right now, just the Hikari Gold Red pellets. He will not eat the green ones at all. And with th red ones, I throw 2 in, if he eats them, good. If not, I dont give him anything else. Since he has been eating the pellets, I do very rarely give him this as well. www.omegasea.net/products/nutrition/cichlid-formula
He loves those like they are going out of style. I typically only give him 2-3 blocks per week. Are those doing him any good?

Do you have a recommendation on a specific pellet I should consider?

• Thank you received: 599

Suprd71 replied the topic: Hole in the Head

The Hikari Gold is a decent pellet. The green ones are not, so him not eating those is good. The frozen cubes are basically worthless. Look at the ingredients analysis. Its over 3/4 moisture and only 9% protein. Oscars do best on a varied diet of quality pellet as a staple, with nutritious treats for dessert lets say. Needs some veg content in the diet as well. For veg, look into Northfin kelp wafers, NLS Algaemax or Omega1 veggie rounds. Try some fruit pieces. treats could also include earthworms, mealworms, crickets. Freeze dried food is vastly superior to frozen. FD krill is high protein and high fiber. Shrimp, tubifex worms usually go over well. You can offer raw fish and shrimp right from the grocery store. Tilapia is cheap, all my fish eat it. If you want to upgrade pellets, Northfin and NewLifeSpectrum are the best available. Get a cichlid formula, not necessarily a carnivore pellet. Oscar is an omnivorous fish, the high protein of a carnivore pellet may possibly do harm in the long run.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 2.776 seconds