Sampson is STARVING!!!

• Sampson11
  • Sampson11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Sampson11 created the topic: Sampson is STARVING!!!

SO....after a week of no water changes (fluval 405; penguin & emperor in place..as well as new heater....) I did a water change today
prior ph 7.4/ammonia0/nitrite0/nitrate40 & temp 81....so we are now back on track with weekly water changes..

Anyway...we (hubby when I'm working) have been feeding him 5-7 pellets of food....he acts like he is starving! Is this enough for a 12inch; 11+yr old oscar? Should I feed more or something else?

He is SUPER happy and pretty crazy; splashed out a bunch of water with his tail when I fed him tonight....I guess my question? now that my water quality is great and we hand feed (he is partially blind)..so there is no wasted floating food.....how much should I feed him? And anything other than Hykari gold?

I've been super busy and had a "procedure" on Friday...plus inherited my daughter's day care gerbils (they were going to put them in a field....!!!)....so I haven't had time to post new video. I will next week.....he is stronger, happier, healthier than I've seen him in a LONG time!!

Thanks to you all!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • A Hungry Fish Is A Healthy Fish
  • Thank you received: 25

brad0h replied the topic: Re: Sampson is STARVING!!!

Just my two cents, doesn't mean I'm right but you should be giving him much more pellets then that.. when my Oscar doesn't act stubborn and will eat his pellets, I'll give him atleast like 10-15 a meal and he's only 6 inches. He also loves crickets, blood worms, etc. You should be feeding him more imo.

We aren't joking when we say water changes and Prime are the best solution to a problem.

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: Sampson is STARVING!!!

Niki, I have several Oscars just a tad bigger than Sampson, and they get 10-15 pellets every OTHER day...

He is not starving.. LOL. Oscars just always think they are...

And if after 1 week (7 days) the Nitrates were 40ppm, I think I would bump to 2 water changes a week... It is in his best interest to keep them at 20ppm or less.. Especially with the minor HITH...

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Haha I agree with you Nikki, my Oscar always acts like he is starving.. and wow I'm suprised I thought an Oscar enthusiast like you would feed your Oscars more often, even though it's not neccasary but just because you love Oscars so much. :woohoo:

We aren't joking when we say water changes and Prime are the best solution to a problem.

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: Sampson is STARVING!!!

brad0h wrote: Haha I agree with you Nikki, my Oscar always acts like he is starving.. and wow I'm suprised I thought an Oscar enthusiast like you would feed your Oscars more often, even though it's not neccasary but just because you love Oscars so much. :woohoo:

I do love them too much... But clean water is the most important element. And keeping the bioload down means better water conditions...

Although they do usually get a treat on odd days... :blush:

• Sampson11
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Sampson11 replied the topic: Re: Sampson is STARVING!!!

Miss Nicki, I must admit...I only did 1 water change last week cuz I worked 84hrs (was a HORRIBLE shift); then had a minor surgery with anesthesia on Friday....then worked again yesterday/today. Hubby is still on consults and also had a bad week.....it was a full moon week! Always bad...I will do better the next few weeks!

What kind of "treats" do you feed them?

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

I fed my Oscar my little brother once as a treat :lol:

• RoxyTheDog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Love your Pets.
  • Thank you received: 166

RoxyTheDog replied the topic: Re: Sampson is STARVING!!!

brad0h wrote: I fed my Oscar my little brother once as a treat :lol:

LOL, as long as it was just once!

I`m being a bit lazy Niki by copying this post from a few days ago regarding oscar snacks...
Bloodworms, brine shrimp and pellets are a great diet but you can also try real worms from the garden, crickets, grasshoppers, dragonflies and other insects. Some people on here feed their oscars vegies and fruit too, just try small samples to see which they will eat and don`t forget to remove any uneaten things before it turns your water bad!
Try to think of things that they would find in the wild or would drop into the water :)

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Re: Sampson is STARVING!!!

Haha! They always act like they're starving! Glad Sampson's back to being healthy and happy!! I think Sampson deserves some additional treats from time to time! :lol:

• Sampson11
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Sampson11 replied the topic: Re: Sampson is STARVING!!!

Jason: I SO agree!! What would you try first?

He was probably pissed this summer when I had the school salamander & cricket cage sitting right across from him....I had no idea they ate crickets?!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds