Can These Blood Worms Be A Staple Diet?

• brad0h
  • brad0h's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • A Hungry Fish Is A Healthy Fish
  • Thank you received: 25

brad0h created the topic: Can These Blood Worms Be A Staple Diet?

www.hikari.info/tropical/t_19.html
They are from Hikari, have a great ammount of protein.. 65%!!! And it seems they say on the site it can be used as a daily diet but I want to hear from some Oscar experts.. My Oscar is on that pellet strike and I notice these have a great ammount of protein and they are fairly cheap.. so I was thinking of buying them after I see what you guys have to say. B)

We aren't joking when we say water changes and Prime are the best solution to a problem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: Can These Blood Worms Be A Staple Diet?

Those will be fine for your Oscar...

But continue to try the pellets... They need everything in the pellets, not just the protein...

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

brad0h replied the topic: Re: Can These Blood Worms Be A Staple Diet?

I understand that, sorry it's just I read these can be used as a staple diet, so it would be ok for awhile right and then I would switch back to my Hikari.

We aren't joking when we say water changes and Prime are the best solution to a problem.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: Can These Blood Worms Be A Staple Diet?

and watch out that you don't get a allergic reaction to the freeze dried worms. :huh: :dry: :blink:
We had a discussion some time ago about that .
I still get mine frozen, and am cutting blocks, but let me know if the fish like them! ;)

• Thank you received: 91

Capt Dave replied the topic: Re: Can These Blood Worms Be A Staple Diet?

Not optimal but would work until he eats pellets again

I have no idea why the water bill is so high
The following user(s) said Thank You: brad0h

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

He loves them actually! But it seems he likes the whole cube idea better because he can chuck his whole mouth over the block and swallow it.. just looks like he has more fun doing so but hey he loves both! I tried putting the pellets in with the bio blood worms and he ate some of the pellets :-) So we are getting closer to him being back on pellets but yeah, the frozen will be treat, the dried for a staple as of now. B)

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife
  • Thank you received: 69

sharyn replied the topic: Re: Can These Blood Worms Be A Staple Diet?

My Oscars diet is about 90% bloodworms. I go through 2 trays a day which costs me about $6AU. They are fed morning and night. Once or twice a week I give them one feed of pellets - and the other fish get pellets or wafers at that time too. All the fish including the bristlenose and the Silver Dollars..even the algae cleaning siamese flying foxes eat bloodworms. I stick with them because apart from the fact that they all love them, the water is better too. The little fish eat the oscar poo (yuk) because so much of it is not fully digested blood worm. This picking through and reducing down takes the pressure of my filters and my water is always shmick and I dont have clumps of oscar poo... I have done it for years and my O's are very happy and healthy....

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Sharyn that's a gross but quite smart way to go about keeping your tank clean. Thumbs up for the insightful post, I like the way you think. :evil:

• sharyn
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Fishy Midwife
  • Thank you received: 69

sharyn replied the topic: Re: Can These Blood Worms Be A Staple Diet?

brad0h wrote: Sharyn that's a gross but quite smart way to go about keeping your tank clean. Thumbs up for the insightful post, I like the way you think. :evil:

Thank - you! I like the way real food is more digestable and more manageable in the tank and it breaks down really nicely in the filter. I give em pellets to supplement them nutritionally, but I find the poo does not get recycled through the small fish if it is all pellet based..then it builds up because my 6 footer is somewhat overstocked. I have to work harder and smarter to keep the water good. But it is ....and I have a deal with the LFS for blood worms and they take alot of my baby O's when I have them..all good.

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Nice Sharyn, I like it. Yeah my Oscar really lieks the Hikari bio blood worms I just bought but I think his favorite is the frozen Hikari Bloodworms.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds