Feeding my baby Tiger Oscar.....UPDATE

• Jenn27
  • Jenn27's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Meet Groucho....my spoiled Tiger O!!
  • Thank you received: 20

Jenn27 created the topic: Feeding my baby Tiger Oscar.....UPDATE

I have a couple of questions about feeding my Tiger Oscar, Groucho. Right now, I am feeding him a Tetra trio of granules, flakes, and dried shrimp. He is so little, that I don't give him a lot, but I do try to give him a variety in the morning, and a snack of dried shrimp in the afternoon/evening. Should I feed him more often b/c he is so small (2-3 inches), or is twice a day a good start? Also, he is so small right now, I am not sure he can eat crickets and such yet, but I could be wrong. What do you guys think? :silly:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I bought him some pellets today, and some blood worms. heehee Spoiling him already. :P He loves the pellets, though! Gonna give him some blood worms tonite before bed for a treat. ;)

We have had our Groucho (Tiger O) for over a year now...have watched him grow from 2 inches to pushing 11 inches! LOVE watching him swim around in his little 55 gal world. :lol: We also have a fancy goldfish and a black moor in a separate tank. We love our fishies!...[IMG]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• askhammatt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hi, im Matt, and im an Oscar addict.
  • Thank you received: 143

askhammatt replied the topic: Re: Feeding my baby Tiger Oscar

u shud feed ur oscar a staple diet of pellets no matter what its age or size and keep things like shrimp and crickets etc as treats... i use hikari gold pellets (they come in lots of diff sizes including baby sizes) i.m.o u cnt beat it as a staple..depending on how much u feed will dictate how often u feed...i feed everyday once but know people who feed every other day with noi probz at all.. ur call really! just feed the little guy until he stops eating.. or drop some food and wait afew min and take out the uneaten food...hope this helps

Matt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jenn27

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • A Hungry Fish Is A Healthy Fish
  • Thank you received: 25

brad0h replied the topic: Re: Feeding my baby Tiger Oscar

As a little guy.. they can eat more than you think and have bigger mouths than you think, I'm pretty sure he could eat cricket, if not atleast a medium sized one or smaller one.. but honestly, it will help if you feed him more as a little guy to grow faster (I'm talking 3 times, even maybe 4 a day) and then later you can slow down when he is bigger to twice a day or even every other day.

We aren't joking when we say water changes and Prime are the best solution to a problem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jenn27

• Jenn27
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Jenn27 replied the topic: Re: Feeding my baby Tiger Oscar

Thanks guys! I will be sure to get him some pellets!

We have had our Groucho (Tiger O) for over a year now...have watched him grow from 2 inches to pushing 11 inches! LOVE watching him swim around in his little 55 gal world. :lol: We also have a fancy goldfish and a black moor in a separate tank. We love our fishies!...[IMG]

• Jenn27
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Jenn27 replied the topic: Re: Feeding my baby Tiger Oscar

askhammatt wrote: u shud feed ur oscar a staple diet of pellets no matter what its age or size and keep things like shrimp and crickets etc as treats... i use hikari gold pellets (they come in lots of diff sizes including baby sizes) i.m.o u cnt beat it as a staple..depending on how much u feed will dictate how often u feed...i feed everyday once but know people who feed every other day with noi probz at all.. ur call really! just feed the little guy until he stops eating.. or drop some food and wait afew min and take out the uneaten food...hope this helps

Matt

I got him the small pouch of Hikarri pellets for Cichlids b/c I couldn't find the Gold ones where I was at. I will be sure to get him Gold next time. The bag says it can be used for Oscars, too. He practically inhaled them, though, so I think he approves. :lol:

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Re: Feeding my baby Tiger Oscar.....UPDATE

Hello, just feed your baby until he has a slightly rounded belly.
That will mostly happen within 3 minutes.
I just toss in some pellets and wait if he eats them, and then throw in 2 or 3 at a time.

When my first O was still a baby he got cichlid pellets and sticks in the morning and bloodworms in the evening.
Plus nightcrawlers, for he loves those. When you see this for the first time it will look like you Oscar is eating an Anaconda. :evil:

Until i started feeding mealworms, and my Red didn't accept any pellets anymore for over a year... :( :( :(
But that changed since he's got a partner, who loves the Hikari stuff.

If you want to feed live worms, mix them with some pellets from day one, for imo that might have saved me a lot of trouble.
And beware, Oscars mouths are bigger then their eyes! :blink: :pinch:

• Jenn27
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Jenn27 replied the topic: Re: Feeding my baby Tiger Oscar.....UPDATE

:laugh: :laugh: Yeah after I fed him the pellets, his belly was rounded out and I was like, man I know he is full now. lol Never seen him like that. My plan is to give him pellets in the mornings and either blood worms or shrimp in the afternoon, with two or three pellets, that way he won't get spoiled to treats only. I will have to see if I can get some mealworms; I have read a lot on here how much they love those things. I hope you can get your O to eat pellets again, too. My oldest daughter loves to fish, so I may have to steal some of her nightcrawlers. Think the ones you get from the fridge at the sporting goods section at like Wal-Mart will be ok, or should try to find some at a pet store? We haven't gotten enough rain here lately, so they are in short supply in my yard. :blink:

• Jenn27
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Jenn27 replied the topic: Re: Feeding my baby Tiger Oscar.....UPDATE

Wow...I just really looked at that pic! Man...that's crazy. Were you trying to feed him that other fish?? :blink:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds