possible homemade fish food?

• blindsighted
  • blindsighted's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

blindsighted created the topic: possible homemade fish food?

so my oscar doesnt like beef heart but likes certain frozen foods. so i was wondering if its possible to make chum (but not the fishing chum, i just mean blended up fish) outa feeder fish and put in little cube trays to freeze and feed to oscar. just a thought and have not attempted yet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • A Hungry Fish Is A Healthy Fish
  • Thank you received: 25

brad0h replied the topic: Re: possible homemade fish food?

As you might've been told, feeder gold fish are not very nutritional and if I were you I would just stick to a pellet diet. If you do want to do something like that, try making cubes out of some healthier meats like some tilapia or shrimp or something just not gold fish. Feeder fish are very bad for your fish and can give them diseases, although some people seem to be fine on feeders, I wouldn't take the risk. Feeders are a good source of calories but calories aren't everything, it'd be better to take the safe route and give him some blended up shrimp cubes or whatever meat you can find, just not feeder fish. If you want to make your life simpler just go to a Petsmart or LFS and they have brine shrimp cubes, blood worms and all that stuff.. but honestly Oscars can be stubborn and I'm having a hard time getting mine back on pellets, I think you'd be smarter just to give him a variety of pellets and stuff. I'm almost on day three of starving my Oscar and it's really shitty when you can see he wants worms but you gotta give him what's healthier and it will be better for him in the end. You can't let your Oscar win the battle of wits.

We aren't joking when we say water changes and Prime are the best solution to a problem.

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: possible homemade fish food?

It sounds way too messy and disgusting not to mention a little inhumane how would you kill all those fish hmmm. :huh: I would just go out and buy the ready made frozen blocks of krill, dalphine, bloodworm etc or go buy shrimp, prawns and save yourself alot of mess. I recently got a whole bag of frozen shrimp from a chinese shop meant for chinese cooking but was only a couple of quid and packed full with loads of shrimp for my oscars; I could use for cooking aswell :)

And feeders not always good on many lvls

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

• Thank you received: 26

dotti90 replied the topic: Re: possible homemade fish food?

feeder fish are not benefitial in anyway stay clear

• blindsighted
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

blindsighted replied the topic: Re: possible homemade fish food?

i raise and grow my own feeder fish and they eat my oscars food mixed with theyres so they are packed with the good stuff.

• blindsighted
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

blindsighted replied the topic: Re: possible homemade fish food?

and he gets blood worms and shrimp cubes and krill cubes and brine shrimp cubes. and idc about how messy and its easy to euthenise fish. and me turning the fish into cubes is more of a convience and then i wouldnt have to use up too many of my fish out of my feeder tank. cause the i could mix the fish up with some vitamins and other things like ghost shrimp.

• Thank you received: 91

Capt Dave replied the topic: Re: possible homemade fish food?

Sounds like a mess...

I have no idea why the water bill is so high

• Thank you received: 26

dotti90 replied the topic: Re: possible homemade fish food?

ok quick lesson the only nutrition an oscar gets from a feeder fish is whats inside its stomach. sure thats probably reasonably good nutrition if you feed them the same food as your oscar but your just adding an unnecesary middle man to the equation when you could just feed the oscars what you feed the feeder fish

• brad0h
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • A Hungry Fish Is A Healthy Fish
  • Thank you received: 25

brad0h replied the topic: Re: possible homemade fish food?

Exactly ^

We aren't joking when we say water changes and Prime are the best solution to a problem.

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Re: possible homemade fish food?

Honestly I just dont see the point

Like already mentioned why bother feeding up fish with oscar food to then feed to your oscar?

I guess its up to you if you want all that pointless activity and mess but I dont think it will benefit your fish any more than his current diet.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds