Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Oscar won't eat pellet food

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #196823

• jlsclsnms
  • Senior Boarder
  • Married
  • Thank you received: 14
My oscar did the same things and now she's back on pellets :cheer: :woohoo:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #196824

how long did it take? how old was your oscar, and did it grow slower because of not eating the right stuff?

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #196846

• jantilla
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Hey, my oscar won't eat his pellets either. It's been five days. What should I do? He just want's shrimp and krill. Should I try the jumbo sticks?

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #196850

like i posted earlier, the oscar is trying to force you into giving it what he/she wants. those types of foods are just snacks, not a main meal. the only reason he wants them is because they taste good. but hold no nutrient value, the hikari gold pellets may taste kinda bland to him, but are much better for him.
my oscar hasnt really eaten in a week, but when they are hungry they will eat the pellets. you just need to be patient. some oscars can go 14 days or more with no food. in the wild they can go alot longer, so its not unheard of for a pet oscar to go on a hunger strike to get what he wants.
stay on top of it, offer nothing but pellets and sticks, and he/she will cave before you should.
if he doesnt eat, just walk away dont give into his begging. it will just make him more hungry for the next day's pellets.

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #196859

• jantilla
  • Senior Boarder
Sounds good. I want big oscar's so I want them to eat. They will be in a 210 gallon tank in a few days.

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #196870

oooh exciting =) you should put up pics when its all ready!
and the best way of getting them big is with the pellets, and whatever healthy food u can find. just like humans are SUPPOSED to eat healthy, its easier to do with fish. best of luck!

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #197105

• jantilla
  • Senior Boarder
Yep, I plan on putting some pictures up. I want plants but can't seem to keep them in the tank for more then an hour lol. Why do oscar's hate plants so much?

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #197117

• Matt
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 152
Their space is all their own. You can put in whatever you like, doesn't mean the fish will agree with your interior design choices. I have found sparsity, keeping very few even fake plants and some driftwood has kept mine from being destructive. Could also just be their personality.
cebosound wrote:
Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:
My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #197125

i use real plants in mine, how long they will last? i dont know.
but it seems that since i got large plants, and a small young oscar seems to help.
i use a plant called Amazon Sword. its a very rough plant and the oscars seem to avoid ripping it up. it is listed on this website as a good plant to use as well. and its pretty cheap, i got mine for 4.50 a plant.
and sand is better than gravel for some reason, i dont know why.

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #197150

• Jenn27
  • Expert Boarder
  • Meet Groucho....my spoiled Tiger O!!
  • Thank you received: 20
Yep, they grow pretty fast on good, healthy food. ;) Groucho grew from 2.5 inches to over 5 inches in 2 months with my feeding him the Hikari pellets. I just today bought him some Hikari gold pellets and he loves them! Of course, he also loves the krill and blood worms. :silly:
We have had our Groucho (Tiger O) for over a year now...have watched him grow from 2 inches to pushing 11 inches! LOVE watching him swim around in his little 55 gal world. :lol: We also have a fancy goldfish and a black moor in a separate tank. We love our fishies!...

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #197178

• Noddy
  • Thank you received: 232
this is becoming a very common subject.
My first red started on cichlid sticks and bloodworms, but refused them completely after a while.
So i started feedung mealworms and he only ate those and earthworms for over a year. I gutloaded the worms with crushed Kiaripellets and other good fishfoods for the extra vitamins.
Until i got my tiger, and he started to eat pellets again.

One advice, if you feed bugs and worms, keep mixing them with pellets, to see if he takes those.
The following user(s) said Thank You: natelogston

Re: Oscar won't eat pellet food 2 years 5 months ago #197190

• jlsclsnms
  • Senior Boarder
  • Married
  • Thank you received: 14
Cichliddle_freak wrote:
how long did it take? how old was your oscar, and did it grow slower because of not eating the right stuff?

She didn't grow slower :my oscar is 2 and 1/2 years old. It took about a week to get it straightened out. Mine got hooked on bloodworms and only bloodworms. She would spit out the pellets and they would just sit there. Then slowly she started taking them, usually when I wasn't looking. I would leave one or two floating and would check and they'd be gone. Then a handful and I'd come back and they would be gone....etc. Now she takes them with me standing there like a goooood fishy! :lol: :cheer:
The following user(s) said Thank You: natelogston
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds

Members Birthdays

No upcoming Birthdays