Feeding wild insects/worms?

• osccarthegrump
  • osccarthegrump's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

osccarthegrump created the topic: Feeding wild insects/worms?

So, Summer time is finally here in Canada; means big juicy insects and fat worms are out. If I kill a spider my Oscar gets it no question, other then pesticides as long as he eats his pellets for vitamins, he's getting insects. I can only wait for replies on this one.

I'm just waiting to hear that I'm wrong. Fish eat bugs. I'm going for a walk in to the forest with my dog, a shovel and a jar. My fish will love 'em I'm sure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: Feeding wild insects/worms?

Fish eat bugs in the wild, no one is going to argue there. However in the wild, the bugs they're eating have much lower exposure to pesticides than bugs found in urban areas.

I know you said you're going into the forest, but I would still be hesitant to give them anything that wasn't from a farm, where there's guarantees they're not exposed to any pesticides.

That's my two cents.

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee
The following user(s) said Thank You: osccarthegrump

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Re: Feeding wild insects/worms?

Matt makes a good point but in moderation I've never had a problem....still you could so use some judgement.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: Feeding wild insects/worms?

yeah I feed some bugs too (worms and crickets) just be careful where you get them from thats all any one wills say.. a lot less pesticides in the amazon!!

but if you are waiting for people to tell you no why post it??/

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• osccarthegrump
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

osccarthegrump replied the topic: Re: Feeding wild insects/worms?

Just curious if there were any other risks besides pesticides. Stings, bites, size of bugs/worms, poisonous insects, nutritional problems...there could be a thousand things wrong with it. thanks for the reply all the same

• osccarthegrump
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

osccarthegrump replied the topic: Re: Feeding wild insects/worms?

Not too sure about there being less pesticides in the amazon then a forest in Canada, but appreciate the reply. Guess it depends where you are.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re: Feeding wild insects/worms?

I live in Canada too on the east coast and I feed my fish worms and bugs and such as well. I don't worry about pesticide as there is no spraying that goes on around here,, heck you can hardly get anything good to put on your lawn they're so tight on regulations. Lol. They tried to allow spraying for mosquitos but got shut down for even thinking about it. But you can check with local municipal office to see if they spray in your area. Ironically spiders are the only thing I've been afraid to feed because of the small amount of poison they contain to stun their prey. Have you seen any bad effects from feeding spiders? Not sure how big your oscars are but I had large ones before that loved salamanders.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Re: Feeding wild insects/worms?

I am careful about the bugs I use. I use fertilizer on the grass and weed killer so I buy bait worms from the store. I also get live crickets from the store as feeders. I will feed live grasshopper I catch in the yard because by then its been many months since any products were used and these insects migrate in and are not around the rest of the year. So far no problems.

Beau_05 replied the topic: Feeding wild insects/worms?

You have shared useful information on bugs. Few months ago, I had suffered with bed bug problem in my home. Hired a reputed pest management company which shared details on how to treat bed bug bites . It helped in resolving this issue permanently.

• Thank you received: 4

tjwalley replied the topic: Re: Feeding wild insects/worms?

i've also wondered about this same thing! i've swatted some giant bees and wasps but always end up throwing them outside instead of feeding them bc i worried about the stingers. i make sure spiders are dead before i feed them bc i worry about it biting the fish while it's in its mouth lol

my biggest one though is crawdads (or crayfish, depending on where you're from :) ) i used to have a huge dempsey and i droppes a few crawdads in the tank with him. he ate them just fine and never had any problems, but i've always wondered if it was just luck that kept its pinchers from destroying the fish's inards?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds