Red Cherry Shrimp Feeder Tank

• BigT
  • BigT's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

BigT created the topic: Red Cherry Shrimp Feeder Tank

I got my shipment of Red Cherry Shrimp today, gotta love the US Postal Service... :pinch:

They were all alive, 21 juveniles 0.5"-1" in size and about 10 little babies. A lot of the "bigger" shrimp also have eggs already.
Here's my tank, it's a 20 gal, I ordered some java moss as well and there are a few plant bulbs in the gravel.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Red Cherry Shrimp Feeder Tank

Nice. I started a 30g cherry shrimp tank as well with the hopes of having some shrimp feeders. Started with 12 and have around 6 berried females now. Should have lots of shrimp soon. They are pretty interesting to watch. The males swim all over the place trying to find the females giving off the pheromones when they are ready to move the eggs under their bellies. That's great that they all arrived alive for you. Once I get a a lot of them I want to sneek a handful into the o tank, hiding them in the plants and watch the O's discover them and go nuts chasing them. Make sure to get a vid when you feed some to yours. Should be a funny sight

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• JasonR
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Hey man...Got a light?
  • Thank you received: 452

JasonR replied the topic: Red Cherry Shrimp Feeder Tank

Nice man! I've really been thinking about doin this. My Umbee deserves some live food being an open water predator and all!lol

• BigT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

BigT replied the topic: Red Cherry Shrimp Feeder Tank

Well my Silver Dollar that was in the tank enjoyed a shrimp or two before I yanked him out and threw him back in the big tank! :huh:

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Red Cherry Shrimp Feeder Tank

LMAO!!! SD do enjoy shrimp! I used to feed ghost shrimp and they got in on the hunt right along with my oscar lol!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

SD's seem to like anything that hits the water just like the oscars. Mine even come to front with the oscars and beg for food right along with them and if you put your finger to the glass they try to nip it through the glass. Should be fun to watch them get in on the action lol

• BigT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

When I first put the shrimp in the tank they were very active, eating an algae wafer and flakes, and swimming all around. Now they just hang out on one of the small plants and don't move much. I see one dead body but that's all I can see. Just wondering if anyone knows if this is normal behavior?

I tested my water before doing a 50% wc today (ph 7.6, amm 0, nitrite 0, & nitrate 10) so it doesn't seem to be a water issue. The temp is set at 79 degrees.

• BigT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Well from what I've been able to find I'm down to elven out of twenty one shrimp left. I haven't seen any hatch lings yet. Not sure why some have died and where others have run off too. I didn't think my Silver Dollar got that many before I got him out of there. :woohoo:

Maybe they are hiding. When the females are ready for fertilization they go into the smallest crack or hole they can find after a molt. Also they will climb out the top if you have any openings or into the filter if they can. I had an aquaclear with no sponge on the intake years ago when I had shrimp before and found three alive and well but cramped in the filter. They got past the impeller and where in the sponge/ bio media area.

• BigT
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

It's been awhile since I updated my shrimp tank. As you can see the plants are growing nicely and I have over 50 shrimp now, most are juveniles. They seem to be very easy to take care of but I have yet to feed any to my O's as I'm waiting for their numbers to climb some more before I do.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds