Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

• danieljones8623
  • danieljones8623's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

danieljones8623 created the topic: Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

Hi everybody. I've got two Oscars in a 125 gallon aquarium. I've been feeding regular Hikari Cichlid Gold for about a month and a half and they have grown from 3 to around 4.5 inches. Well, I really wanted to try out Hikari Bio-Gold Plus pellets on them, but they don't seem to be taking to them very well. My question is will starving them for a week or so to get them to eat the Bio-Gold pellets really stunt their growth? I'm really wanting to grow them out big so I really don't want to make a big mistake.

Thanks for any info.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 1

Usman9600 replied the topic: Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

Your oscars are young and they are growing pretty fast
I dont think you should experiment with them
Stick to the gold pellets
They are juveniles therefore they need more food and can't be starved
When they reach about 7inches you can try keeping them hungry but not for a week 3 to 4 days will be enough

• danieljones8623
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

danieljones8623 replied the topic: Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

Well, I tried one last time feeding the Bio-Gold this morning. Each fish ate two or three pellets so maybe they decided they will eat the pellets after all. I went from eating about 10 mini pellets of the regular Gold pellets to two or three medium Bio-Gold pellets. Do you think this is a comparable amount and should be sufficient at two feedings a day?

Thanks again.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

I believe the dif between the 2 is that the bio-gold has probiotics in. Not sure if there is a nutritional difference, compare ingredients. If the fish are consuming the medium without wasting any, like spewing crumbs out their gills, I'm sure thats fine. What you should do however, is try to incorporate different foods in their diet as a weekly "treat" Many freeze dried are very good. Krill, shrimp, tubifex and bloodworm. Live earthworms are usually welcomed. You should also ensure that they get some veg matter and vitamin supplement. See if they will eat a couple of shelled peas a couple times a week. A spirulina based pellet, such as HBH super soft should also consist of about 25% of their over all diet. For vitamin additive, saturate their pellets in Boyd's VitaChem or liquid vitamin C for one good feeding per week

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

I found that with bio gold there's Not much poop in the tank

Sent from my ME173X using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

Hikari medium pellets are best used for fish at least 9" long to prevent excess food from coming out of the gills. At 3-5" mini pellets are easily swallowed without loss of food.

• Thank you received: 8

Stalker replied the topic: Re:Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

When I've started to feed my oscars Hikari Gold, they become much brighter and grew even from 12" (30cm) to 13.5" (34cm). I give them about 3 times a week crickets, roaches, earthworms, silk worms and life insects.

• danieljones8623
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

danieljones8623 replied the topic: Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

Well I've been feeding the Bio-Gold for about a week now. The pellets seem to be growing on the fish because one eats them like crazy and the other eats about 5 during each feeding. I do notice excessive amounts blow out the gills, but despite this, my nitrates, which are normally about 10 ppm by this point between water changes, is now closer to 5 ppm. I just hope the one oscar will take to them the longer I feed them.

• Thank you received: 26

FuzzyLumpkins replied the topic: Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

Personally I think Hikari is overrated. You can get your probiotics by doing a septic tank treatment like they do in stocked fish farms etc. 2 tspn’s per 75g I believe is the dose. Also like Rock mentioned the medium pellets are for fish in the range of 9” there will be a lot less waste of food using the smaller pellets.

I noticed a good amount of difference in color and build on my old red oscar by switching to omega one cichlid pellets. Just my 2c :)

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Trying Hikari Bio-Gold.

i've been moving away from hikari and using ken's ... but i found southern delight isn't too bad ...

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds