Dainichi cichlid food

• Suprd71
  • Suprd71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 created the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

My fish food supplier just started carrying this line. Pricey, which could mean nothing, but has anyone used this with positive results?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

I can't tell the difference in terms of how the fish look, growth, or waste output among the follwing brands that I have used in the past couple of years:

Dainichi
Aqueon
NLS
Hikari
Xtreme Aquatic
HBH SuperSoft

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

Bringing this one back to life.

I just placed an order for some color supreme. I have finally found an online source that sells the color supreme floating in the medium sized pellet so I can feed the larger fish. I have used this in the past (small floating) and really could not say if it were better or worse than any other brands but Im going to put it into my mix of Omega One and NLS and see what I think of it. I have mixed in some of the XL Pro into their diets and have no complaints. The main reason I stopped using Dainichi was a combination of price and availability. Have been thinking to try and do it exclusive for ten days like another food company suggests and see if I notice a difference.

My package of small floating Color Supreme came in last night and I started feeding it to my Bumblebee Oscar. He ate it immediately and there was no issue with acceptance. This product claims to enhance yellow and blue due to spirulina. I figured this is what Im trying to enhance on the Bumblebee so I would try it. The fish is still new so I have not had it long enough to comment on how food has done anything for it. I had been feeding Omega One small floating Super Color and Super Kelp pellets until the switch. I am going to try an exclusive diet of the Color Supreme and see if I notice any difference. Like Ive said I have used it in the past but cost and availability were an issue. But I think I may have found a couple online vendors where this may not be much of a factor anymore.

I also ordered some medium sized floating Color Supreme for the larger fish in the 210g and will add it to their mix. I know some like to feed one food item at a time but I find the fish will sometimes not eat and wait for what they like the most. When I mix it all together they generally seem to eat everything. Im a big fan of Omega One and use it pretty much as the main part of their diet but I also add a bit of NLS and a few other brands in for variety.

• Suprd71

Suprd71 replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

I never did order any, but am interested in any results you may notice. Omega 1 is the main pellet here, and I just recently started using the kelp pellets as well. I had very limited success with nls, fish just didnt like it. Suits me fine, that aint cheap either.

When I first got back into the hobby about six years ago I started with a Petsmart midas and Omega One cichlid pellet. I kept on reading about this product or that being better and have done lots of different foods over the years. I even did the 100% NLS diet which I absolutely hated because of the red fart clouds of waste the fish would produce. I have pretty much went back to Omega One but am still working off some other brands I have left.

One of the big things beside overall fish health and color is the waste produced from the food. I find that the Omega One digests nicely and it leaves a little surface residue but noting to obnoxious. I had recently used the Southern Delight line of foods and I swear I had a growth increase in all the fish but it left a big mess of scum on the surface of the water. I also was unhappy with the feather meal used in the food, which they have said to have removed.

Im not sure if Dainichi will replace the Omega One products but I think I would rather use it in my mix instead of the NLS.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

Got a question for the sake of my curiosity! Ok...is the yellow a color on the fish? I've never seen one in person..only yours and photos of Capone. I know that question sounds stupid. It just seems from photos that the yellow is an absence of color...not albino or lutino of course!

I'm just really curious. Is the yellow something you can enhance?

• Suprd71

Suprd71 replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

Have you tried any Northfin? I belong to a small, Canadian based forum, members there promote it quite heavily. No additives/preservatives. This will be in my next order, small bag in case its not accepted. Wont go to waste, my Midevil and RedTex will eat ANYTHING. They finished off the NLS I had, but I didnt notice the effects as you did. Probably didnt last long enough for me to see anyways.

purplecandle wrote: Got a question for the sake of my curiosity! Ok...is the yellow a color on the fish? I've never seen one in person..only yours and photos of Capone. I know that question sounds stupid. It just seems from photos that the yellow is an absence of color...not albino or lutino of course!

I'm just really curious. Is the yellow something you can enhance?

Not really sure on it but I am going to see if it does anything. Right now the Bumblebee tends to show a lot of black with an occasional flashing of the stripes. I want to see if the food will enhance it.

Suprd71 wrote: Have you tried any Northfin? I belong to a small, Canadian based forum, members there promote it quite heavily. No additives/preservatives. This will be in my next order, small bag in case its not accepted. Wont go to waste, my Midevil and RedTex will eat ANYTHING. They finished off the NLS I had, but I didnt notice the effects as you did. Probably didnt last long enough for me to see anyways.

Northfin has been on my wishlist of foods to try but the only thing I dont like... no floating foods. I could work some into my mix but wish there was a floating formula since my Pearsei likes to surface feed.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.115 seconds