Dainichi cichlid food

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

purplecandle wrote: I'm just really curious. Is the yellow something you can enhance?

Don't know if you can enhance it like you can red/orange pigments, but yellow is definitely a pigment. I think the yellow pigments in fish are called pteridines found in cells called xanthophores.. Unlike the red/orange carotenoid pigments that are formed by metabolising carotene, pteridines are formed by compounds already present in cells so ingesting food won't make much of a difference. That said, there are more yellowish carotenoid pigments as well that would be enhanced by a diet heavy in them, it depends what's making the yellow colour appear in a particular fish (pretty sure it can be both).

In oscars, they've also got melanophores (which give them their black colours) unless they're albinos. The pigments in melanophores can be regulated. When the pigment's dispersed the cell appears black. Melanophores often overlay other pigment-containing cells, so when the pigment in a melanophore aggregates together the black is no longer visible, and the colour of the underlying cells becomes visible instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: purplecandle

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Suprd71
  • Suprd71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

Northfin has what they call slow sinking cichlid pellets. I will try these and let you know just how slow sinking they really are. Maybe no help if the Pearsei only likes surface.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

Marigold powder as found in foods like Aqueon are said to enhance yellow. Again not sure if the food will have any bearing but Dainichi does show pics of true yellow fish that were enhance by feeding its food. Will see if there is any truth to that.

Suprd71 wrote: Northfin has what they call slow sinking cichlid pellets. I will try these and let you know just how slow sinking they really are. Maybe no help if the Pearsei only likes surface.

Oh the Pearsei eats everything and everywhere but to make sure ALL the other fish get food too, I have to have a large percentage of floating food in there to keep her busy so the others can eat. Would be interested to hear how 'slow' the slow sinking are.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

Lammergeier wrote:

purplecandle wrote: I'm just really curious. Is the yellow something you can enhance?

Don't know if you can enhance it like you can red/orange pigments, but yellow is definitely a pigment. I think the yellow pigments in fish are called pteridines found in cells called xanthophores.. Unlike the red/orange carotenoid pigments that are formed by metabolising carotene, pteridines are formed by compounds already present in cells so ingesting food won't make much of a difference. That said, there are more yellowish carotenoid pigments as well that would be enhanced by a diet heavy in them, it depends what's making the yellow colour appear in a particular fish (pretty sure it can be both).

In oscars, they've also got melanophores (which give them their black colours) unless they're albinos. The pigments in melanophores can be regulated. When the pigment's dispersed the cell appears black. Melanophores often overlay other pigment-containing cells, so when the pigment in a melanophore aggregates together the black is no longer visible, and the colour of the underlying cells becomes visible instead.

Thank you! Took me a few seconds to read that, but I think I got it :)

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

No worries! And sorry, lol, that stuff does get horribly wordy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: purplecandle

I cant remember where but was reading how some color enhancing foods could take the fish with natural yellows and tend to make them look more orange, an undesirable trait. I want to say it was on the NLS site. Seems like there are a ton of foods designed to really get those red and orange colors to pop but not many focus on the other colors. I think the Aqueon pellets was praised for its ingredients (Marigold powder) being focused on more than just reds. The Dainichi is a high quality food so I dont feel bad to feed it to the Oscar exclusive. Well somewhat exclusive, he does get some treats on occasion.

• Suprd71
  • Suprd71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

Still interested in the Dainichi report, but personally, thru years of fishkeeping, I dont think any food will enhance color. Its an advertising ploy. The secret is overall premium care, tankspace and clean water. I have regular store bought Tiger O's that show yellows and green/olives. Big tanks and fanatical water changes makes them that way imho.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Agree with the water changes being a big part of the whole coloring up process.

Been feeding the Oscar the Dainichi color pellets since they came in. I also have been feeding freeze dried shrimp, frozen bloodworms, live nightcrawlers so I cant really comment about the benefits of an 'exclusive' diet. I will say the Oscar took to the food right away and that the poop is a very light beige color which sits on top of the sand and blends in well. I know when I have fed NLS the fish poop was usually reddish. I have not noticed any reduction in waste compared to the Omega One I had been feeding but it does not seem like their was any issue with the switch from the fishes side of things.

Wanted to add that the special vitamin coating can make the food sticky if you touch it. In fact in the bag of food they include one of those special 'dont eat this' packets so the food does not stick together.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds