Dainichi cichlid food

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

Just an update on my thought with this food. I had been using the 'small' color supreme floating and found it is pretty much too small for my fish now. I bought some of the 'medium' and it is a bit big and the Oscar grinds it a bit. I am going to have to save this for him when he gains a couple inches so that he stops the grinding. For now the perfect pellet seems to be the 4.5mm NLS pellet which he swallows whole. Not seeing a huge difference in color being more vibrant due to feeding Dainichi but again not an exclusive diet. I have also been feeding freeze dried krill, frozen krill, silversides, nightcrawlers in an effort to bulk the fish up a bit.

A couple things I dont like about Dainichi, the Cons:
1. The coating causes food to stick to fingers and any moistness would cause it to lump together, thus the little packets in the bag to prevent that.
2. The 'floating' is not really 100%. Seems like a good quarter of the pellets sink to the bottom. Not a huge issue in my big community tank but the Oscar likes to eat off the surface and my bottom feeder is not active in the day to get the leftovers. I think the Oscar does scavenge a bit and does eat the ones on the bottom. But a floating pellet should float.
3. Availability. It is next to impossible to find online the floating, medium color supreme pellet. You can get it direct but they way overcharge for the shipping. I finally found a pond fish supply that had it for pretty reasonable, including shipping.

So I will likely feed it until I run out and go back to a Omega One pellet diet or try out the NorthFin products that have been getting so much attention lately.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

Where do you get the Northfin? Big Al's used to have them for sale in the US, but I don't see them online anymore.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

I have read good things about Northfin.....but Rock is right, can't seem to get it in the US. :pinch:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

there's always Ebay - but it's being shipped from Canada...

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

I posted an Ebay link not sure why it's not showing up (on my screen it's not)

nope it's not showing on mines

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

I can see the copied link.....but it won't post. PENN!

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

If you click on the "Proceed to this site" from this tiny url link I made, it will take you there, but weird that it won't direct link in the message board.

preview.tinyurl.com/northfin

i've never seen or used this brand before ~ is it worth it to try? my fish are on southern delight right now -

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Dainichi cichlid food

What are your thoughts on the SD?

I tried it and did not like it. I felt it left a lot of surface scum. It did seem as if my fish had a growth spurt when I switched over but it could also be the fact I removed seven big red hook silver dollars at the same time I started feed the Southern D. I did find it seemed cleaner than the NLS only diet I had been feeding but not as good as the original food I started with, Omega One.

The 'other' Oscar site out there that reviews fish foods rates the NorthFin very highly. For me cost is not a huge issue since I really do not go through that much food. I always buy ahead and probably have at least 6-8 months worth on hand. I have made it my goal to use up all the different things I have laying around before I buy more but NorthFin is high on my next food purchase.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds