Earthworm problem

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Earthworm problem

Also, earthworms and insects fed on a regular basis will cause nitrates to build up very quickly compared to pellets, especially in a 55g. I'd step up the wc schedule like Darth suggested.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Earthworm problem

Darth Nandopsis wrote: Well......if the worms are eating feces, then so is the Oscar...... :sick:

I feed my cichlids earthworms/nightcrawlers from my baitshop on a regular basis.....they are raised in topsoil......I consider these to be safe & a great source of protein......never had any ill effects.

Probably right Jack, there would be feces in the digestive tract of the worm which could contain a lot of bacteria. I was just thinking that since many gardeners and farmers use the stuff for fertilizer on their crops, that it may not be the source of the trouble.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Earthworm problem

earthworms are little framers as they call them, they burrows, aerate, and fertilized the soil.
yes they dwell in anything on the ground but they are also very sensitive. these night crawlers
normally eat organic materials and produce waste that are compost and humus = a very good fertilizers.
you can never see a crawler penetrating the newly drop dungs for they will surely die from acid
the new dungs contain. earthworms can be found in a dungs that was drying out or mixed with the soil.
i do not have thorough knowledge about their anatomy but i do believe they will not harm the fish
if given around properly.

normally, fish that were fed too much whether earthworms, pellets, etc... will have bloated belly and
sometimes stay at the bottom for a while breathing heavily. In such case, we need to test the water to
eliminate probability of bad water condition.

presently, i still keep some bucket of compost in my garden where i got plenty of earthworms for my fish.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Earthworm problem

Earthworms are what they eat.....

If they were found in manure, then they will have feces in their system. I believe that feeding manure worms to your fish is fraught w/ inherent problems, the 1st & foremost being your fish eating feces full of toxins, bacteria,etc.

There is a species of earthworm that eats feces/manure & other decaying organic matter. Eisenia foetida(red worm, manure worm). I have used these for fishing, but as they will give off a foul-smelling green/yellow liquid when handled, I do not recommend them for fish food.

While manure is great fertilizer, it is not something that should be fed to fish. :sick:

I feed all my fish nightcrawlers/common earthworms that were eating topsoil on a regular basis. Have for decades. I have never had one lie on the bottom, get sick, whatever.

Besides eating toxins from the manure, I agree that these fish exhibiting the behavior that they did may have a lot to do w/ poor water conditions.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Usman9600

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds