One oscar growing quicker than the other

• Oscardo
  • Oscardo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Oscardo created the topic: One oscar growing quicker than the other

Hi everyone :)

I recently bought 2 tiger oscars the same size. About 3 inch long. In the last month one has out grown the other. They are in a 6 ft tank. I have some guppies in the tank which the larger of the two manages to catch occasionally. I am putting floating pellets in the tank, but neither show much interest. I am a bit worried the smaller oscar is not getting enough food. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: One oscar growing quicker than the other

Hello and welcome to the site. You have a good size tank thankfully, too many just dont. I would remove the guppies and stop this practice of offering feeder fish. Have you noticed any aggression issues with the O's? Often 2 will not co-exist regardless of tank space. If the fish are basically healthy, they both should eat when hungry enough. Do you test your water parameters and do regular water changes? Temps should be similar to Amazonian conditions, 80-84 degrees. You should try offering a variety of food, freeze dried such as krill, bloodworm, tubifex worms. Live earthworms are generally welcomed by Oscars. One outgrowing the other is not a concern unless the small one is being bullied. Like any animal, some get big and grow quicker, some dont.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Oscardo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Oscardo replied the topic: Re:One oscar growing quicker than the other

Thanks :) any particular reason to remove the guppies? The oscars normally stay close together, and haven't seen any aggression toward each other. Ph has been a little high, but now corrected. Change 30% water once a week. The smaller one seems to move slower, and noticed this morning it's poo was white, and thin. The larger one seems to have thick dark poo. I'll go to the pet store and get some different food today.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:One oscar growing quicker than the other

The risk with live feeders is the potential for transfer of parasites, pathogens and disease that the Oscar's immune system is unable to combat. Also very limited nutritional content. Your water change is also insufficient. You should be doing at least 75% weekly and more as fish get bigger. Monitoring your water parameters using a liquid test kit will give you an indication of water maintenance requirements. You ideally want 0 ammonia and nitrite and when nitrate hits 20ppm, its time for a big w/c. You should not be fooling with the Ph. Stable is better than trying to adjust. Fish will acclimate to a stable Ph even if you think it may be less than ideal. White thin poo is a concern, but I would concentrate for now with more clean water and a better diet.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Oscardo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Oscardo replied the topic: Re:One oscar growing quicker than the other

Ok thanks, will check everything, and post in a week or so. Thanks for the hep :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds