VitaChem Alternatives

• Sosban Fach
  • Sosban Fach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach created the topic: VitaChem Alternatives

Hi guys some advice on vitamins please.

I saw some articles/papers people had posted up here about the importance of vitamins.

I am ashmed to admit I have not been useing any of these supplements and relying on peas prodominently; which my oscar rarely eats. I have not been focussing enough of my attention on my Oscars diet. To busy worrying about nitrates I guess, but thats no excuse.

So Ive read a few things and now im wandering if anone has looked into useing alternatives to vitachem? Are people buying this product simply because it says "for fish" on the side?

I have seen this use of price mark up and often decrease of quality on many fish food products when comparing to human products. You can guarentee almost everythings thats green and marked as a source of iron and vitamins for fish is almost certantly spinach in every case and much more expensive. I remember in one instance buying a pack of mussels for my fish on the packet it read "not fit for human consumption" Then I checked how much the same product was in my grocery and found it to be cheaper' If its not fit for human consumption thats means it failed to meet food quality standards.

I read vitamins A,B,C, and D are what you need to get. There are many products fit for human consumption that have the same vitamins available.

On average vyou get about 16ml for £1 with vita chem. I have found a number of other products which are marketed for humans and you get near double the quantity for half the price.

I read on another forum where a member uses human fit liquid vitamins all the time; with equal positive affects. Has anyone else used alternative liquid vitamin supplements? And how did it go?

Have other people noticed this mark up for fish products as well? Have you made replacements in your oscars diet and how did it go?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: VitaChem Alternatives

I have been using VitaChem w/ great results for years, & I look @ it this way.....since I only use enough to cover what product I am "marinating", (FD krill) & I don't add to aquarium (as recommended, but I feel this is a waste), a bottle of this lasts quite a while, as in several months. IMO very cost effective, & the robustness & color that my cichlids display from the use of this product shows the efficacy of the product.

I would tend to think that perhaps vitamins made for humans are in greater concentration, & would perhaps pose harm long-term to internal organs, etc. if given to fish on a regular basis?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Sosban Fach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Sosban Fach replied the topic: VitaChem Alternatives

Thanks,

I read that it is very important for a fish's immune system and can drastically improve the fishes health in particular with HITH; which is the main reason I am interested.

Im not to bothered about colour my fish is already very colourful. Plenty of red.

What size bottle do you buy for it to last several months?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

I think the bottle I bought is 16oz.....I purchased that @ ThatPetPlace in Lancaster PA last year in April, & I have maybe used a quarter of the bottle.... I mariinate FD krill, mealworms, crickets, etc, & it only takes a few drops.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Sosban Fach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Sosban Fach replied the topic: VitaChem Alternatives

Thankyou I think I will get a smaller bottle for now because the big bottles are really expensive.

The human products Ive seen seem to have a very short shelf life by comparison. So if you bought an equal sized bottle it probably wqouldnt be useable in a few weeks.

Oh forgot to tell you I tried hoppers last week. They had about 1 each an then never touched them again. I'll try crickets next.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

I got 2 cans of them.....my Red Oscar & my RT Mota CRUSHED them...my Jag walloped it on the surface, but spit it out....(he does take live hoppers in the summer)...try pulling off the legs & wings 1st.

Yeah, it's just a LOT easier to buy liquid vites, & the results you get from Boyd's is amazing....I'm not sure if Boyd's does expire...I will lok into that.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: VitaChem Alternatives

The liquid version for humans will suffice if your fish will consume the food soaked in it. I would dilute the vitamins in distilled water (check the dosage rate versus Boyd's Vitachem for reference) if it is water soluble and only put a few drops on pellets and freeze dried food.

I highly doubt that the researchers who did the study of Oscars and Vitamin C deficiency used Boyd's Vitachem for their study. I would surmise they just used vitamin C and diluted it to be safe for the fish.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:VitaChem Alternatives

Ive used liquid baby vitamins before but the added benefits of the garlic in the Boyd's outweighs the price difference IMOH

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

"I highly doubt that the researchers who did the study of Oscars and Vitamin C deficiency used Boyd's Vitachem for their study. I would surmise they just used vitamin C and diluted it to be safe for the fish."

Me too.....but having used this stuff for Discus & Oscars(& all my other fish) for decades & never once having a fish contract HITH/LLE, I swear by Boyd's. Something I use daily & highly recommend. B)

• Thank you received: 16

Nyx replied the topic: Re:VitaChem Alternatives

I hope it's ok to jump on this thread. It answered about all the questions I had about liquid vitamins in an oscars diet. I just have one question that kind of goes also with the original question here. What about flukers multivitamin?

I'm considering the one one the right to soak any freeze dried food I give my oscar like so many have suggested here.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds