Feeding my oscar when on holiday

• Bobbyfay
  • Bobbyfay's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Bobbyfay created the topic: Feeding my oscar when on holiday

Hello everyone :)

I was wandering if any of you can give me some advice on what to give the O's whilst i am on holiday.

I am going to America for 10 days. I have one 3-4 inch oscar and one 7-8 inch.

I really not sure on feeding the blocks as to be honest i dont think it is going to last.
Any advice on the automatic feeders ?

Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Feeding my oscar when on holiday

Do 2 75% water changes the day before you leave.

Feed the day before you leave.

Lower the temp of the tank to around 78F.

Do not feed while you are gone.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Feeding my oscar when on holiday

I know Oscars can go for up to 2 weeks without food and be ok , but it makes me feel bad to think of them being hungry for that long.
You dont have anyone that you trust enough to at least come feed them once ( putting the propper amount in a dish for the person , so they dont overfeed ) and maybe give them a crash course in how to even do a small water change while you are gone ?
Also make sure that all your cords for your heaters and filters are plugged in tight and secured , and perhaps weigh down the lid to the tank a litle , just to make sure nothing can escape.

• Thank you received: 1

MeganBannra replied the topic: Feeding my oscar when on holiday

This may sound stupid... but what about an automatic fish feeder? Could you shove some mealworms in one hahaha. I wouldn't know because I never go on vacation... lmao

my awesome video channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcYQLw5vOAE

• Thank you received: 18

mishka replied the topic: Feeding my oscar when on holiday

This may sound stupid... but what about an automatic fish feeder? Could you shove some mealworms in one hahaha. I wouldn't know because I never go on vacation... lmao

:unsure: Right there with ya......

But when I do go home for about a week I just don't feed them, I know they are capable of it and I haven't had any issues, whenever I had someone watch my dogs they were like, "What about your fish?" and I tell them not to worry and they look at me like I'm a horrible person

It would be different though if I was leaving for 2 weeks or more, I know how hungry O's can be....

• Thank you received: 10

Peeps replied the topic: Feeding my oscar when on holiday

Is their anyone who can help you? You can leave the amount fed each day in baggies or those weekly pill containers so they don't overfeed.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Feeding my oscar when on holiday

i would do what Rocksor said i've had a bad experiences with getting someone to feed my fish.. just remember if you do feed your fish well you're gone you also have to do water changes

Is their anyone who can help you? You can leave the amount fed each day in baggies or those weekly pill containers so they don't overfeed

that's exactly what i did 1 week late half the can of food is missing

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Feeding my oscar when on holiday

Automatic fish feeders fail. The last thing you want is 50% of the food to go into the tank and cause ammonia and nitrite spikes when you are gone.

Oscars are programmed to cram as much food as they can, even when their bellies are big. If you even feed your Oscar 1 a day, there is enough fat reserves for them to survive a couple of weeks. The lower temperature will slow down their metabolism and not make them as hungry. Remember their body temperature is way below that of dogs, cats, birds, and people, which is why they can survive a couple of weeks or more without eating.

• Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Feeding my oscar when on holiday

Yup what Rocksor said.

Ive left my O and Sev for a couple of weeks at a time without feeding. There just a bit hungry when you get back.

When you get back feed them test the water for nitrates nitrites ammonia and ph. Then probably do a 75% water change.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds