My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

• Chicker
  • Chicker's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Chicker created the topic: My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

Hi All,

I'm new here. I'm from Philippines. I've got my Oscars from a local pet store when they were still Juvenile.
I'm not a professional fish keeper but trying to know the do's and dont's on taking care of my beloved Oscars.
Hope someone can help me on this one.
I've got 3 Oscars, They swim on 3 separate tanks.
They're all at the same age and length of about 8-9inches.
Two of them eat regularly, however the other one is not.
Now this concerns me the most. Two consumes about 3-5pcs live fish feeders a day.
However, the other one is insanely feeding around 10-13pcs a day.
I want to lessen it but I'm afraid that he might starve and weaken him. There's also a Juvenile (2inch) Flowerhorn swimming with him on the same tank and it's the same size of the live fish feeders I drop on his tank.
Everyday he consumes all of the feeders and leave the flowerhorn aside. It's kinda weird because he likes to eat but for some reason he always leave the flowerhorn alone.

Is there something wrong with him or its just normal? Any inputs are welcome! Thanks and have a great day!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

Welcome to our community.

Are you putting in quite a lot of feeders at once? If you only want your fish to eat four, then only put 4n, it's as simple as that.

Having said this, feeding live fish to your Oscars is not something we really recommend, unless you have bred them yourself, so no they are absolutely healthy and you won't be passing anything nasty onto your Oscar.

Your size O, I would probably be feeding a maximum of twice a day for about 3 min each session, as much as they can eat in this time and then stop. But I would be feeding them on a good-quality pellets 95% of the time.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

As OFL stated, feed them a good quality pellet most of the time and supplement this with occasionally treat. Feeders are not good and should not be fed at all. Very good chance of passing on disease to your fish, also feeders are not nutritious at all.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

You have to regulate what your fish eats.

Giving feeder fish, whether you purchase them or breed them, is unwise @ best. Regardless of source, they offer little in the way of nutritional value, & carry a wide variety of diseases & parasites, which will be passed on to your fish.

I would STRONGLY urge you to discontinue this practice immediately if you wish your Oscar to remain healthy.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Chicker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Chicker replied the topic: My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

Yes, I buy feeders at our local shop. To be honest I'm confident that the quality of the feeders they sell are superb because they got a very neat and tidy store to begin with. I just drop feeders all at once at the same quantity. So yeah I guess that's really my mistake. I still feed them with pellets though the ratio is only 30%. Well, following your advice I'll make it 60% now but I think gradually doing it right? then up to 90% I guess.
I just hope my Oscars would still be satisfied feed on a floating pellets rather than chasing its live prey. But I guess thats nothing to worry about.

Thank you for the warm welcome and I really appreciate the inputs you gave me!

Regards,

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

Feeders = bad. No matter how clean the store is. If you have a few extra fish from a spawn of your own fish that you've raised for along time that may be safe.. but still there is next to nothing for nutritional value. Only negative things come from feeding feeder fish, nothing positive.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

As someone who was "in the trade", managing a chain of local aquarium stores years ago, the absolute worst thing you can feed your Oscars are feeder fish, REGARDLESS OF SOURCE. I have been to a few farms where feeders are raised (goldfish, roseys, guppies) & they are raised by the billions in outdoor ponds & indoor vats....the smell alone would knock you out. They carry a wide range of pathogens & parasites....& it's not a question of if your Oscar will contract something, rather a question of WHEN.

You can train your fish to eat pellets. Fish can go 2 weeks w/out eating. You want to get them on a pellet, don't feed them for a few days. They will eat.

I would question how may times a day you feed your fish, what size aquariums these fish are in, & what your water change schedule is.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Chicker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Chicker replied the topic: Re:My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

I'll follow your advice moving forward. Thank you so much!

• Chicker
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Chicker replied the topic: My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

I didnt know that they can live without food for 2 weeks. Well to be honest, i really don't count days when feeding them. What I do is whenever the tanks are empty of food. I'll just drop feeders and wait for them to consume it. They're on 15 gals. each. I've got an empty 100 gals here but I'm so afraid to have them swim all together because I've done it before and it was a mess. They fought each other to the extent that one of them almost die out. So I bought a few cheap tanks instead. I change water I think once every 2 weeks.

• Thank you received: 35

AZ Steve replied the topic: My Oscar has insane appetite. How to regulate it?

A single Oscar needs a minimum of 55gal tank. 15 gallon tank would be like you living in a closet. I would consider rehoming all but one, and put that one un the 100 gallon tank.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds