Mealworms ?

• RamBan
  • RamBan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

RamBan created the topic: Mealworms ?

Hi ! :) been using this website for some time now (but became a member today). Got two oscars and i have been thinking about what more to feed them with, other than pellets, shrimp and beef heart. So i read that u can feed them mealworm beetles and worms, so i gave it a test today and got some live ones from the pet store, and it turns to that they really love it. Not long ago i read some pages about mealworms and feed them to fish, but then i see many aquarists say that u should not really feed them with living mealworms and such and that they can feel the pain so i felt really bad. So i ask you people to give me your opinions about feeding live mealworms/beetles to the oscars ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Mealworms ?

Who feels the pain the worms or the fish ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Mealworms ?

Feeding mealworms, earthworms, beetles, crickets etc is ok for your oscar. The thing to avoid is live fish feeders, goldfish, minnows etc. If it bothers you on some level that live food meets a painful death, dont do it. Oscar will get by just fine on pellets and quality freeze drieds. I would also advise that you not feed beefheart. Mammal meat is not on the cichlid menu in the wild, should not be used in the aquarium either.
Edit... and welcome to OFL, enjoy your stay.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Goranothos, RamBan

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Mealworms ?

if your talking about the fish no they doesn't hurt the fish

but if you're talking about the bugs i'm sure they can feel pain at very least i can't imagine being eaten is very fun but that said i don't think being freeze dried is pleasant either

and even pellets are ground fish so its what you prefer killing it yourself on letting someone do it for you either way the fish has to eat

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• RamBan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

RamBan replied the topic: Re:Mealworms ?

I meant the worms :)
and no i would never feed my oscars goldfish and such, and i will trow the beef heart straight away in the trash thanks for good tip :)

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Mealworms ?

Could you tell us more about your fish? How big? How old? what size tank? They get along well? Think you have a pair?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• RamBan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

RamBan replied the topic: Re:Mealworms ?

well i got one female and one male yes they got their first eggs yesterday and looks like they are doing well :) i had one oscar before the ones i have now too but i think she was old when i got her, and she died in the ending of 2011. (the old oscar just start mating with the one male i have now). I don't remember the exact liters but i think it was about 400, and yes i know this is to small for oscars but I'm working on it :) been looking for some good cheap aquariums but have not found the right one yet. They share the tank with a pleco and a blood parrot, i have had some blue acara too but they are gone now.

i have had the male since about the start of 2011, don't know how old he is but i don't believe he is that old. he is about 28 cm. i got him from some guy who owned a "pet shop"(didn't see the fishes because it was all dark in the tanks) and then i see the biggest tank under the buying desk, there lay my oscar male (Harald) with about 15 other really big fishes so i bought him and when i got him home i introduced him to my old oscar and Harald was really beat up after some time but then she started to favor him and they soon laid eggs, but they soon failed because they didn't guard their nest and the eggs got eaten.

Then we got my female who i bought from my local pet store when she was about 11 cm long with her sister.My female i believe is about 23 cm long, when i got her was about the end of 2011 not soon after the old oscar died. She and her sister fought a lot when they grew up so my female (Bolla) didn't grow that much but her sister is 28 cm or so now i believe. well it started out not to long ago that her sister showed interest in Harald so i let i go on to see if Harald would do the same thing back and he did for some time but then i guess he saw Bolla which he wanted more. So my cousin adopter her sister. And yesterday Bolla and Harald decided after so long to lay eggs.

so pretty much a fish love story all of this, but i must say oscar is the best fishes i have ever had, they have so much personality and u can really see their intelligence shine through :)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Mealworms ?

Worms cannot feel pain the way we do...their brains & nervous systems are not developed enough to feel pain...they will wiggle & squirm when grabbed, etc but this is more of a predator flight response than anything else.

I would recommend you re-home the BP & the pleco for water quality issues.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RamBan

• RamBan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

RamBan replied the topic: Mealworms ?

well i think i will feed them frozen food that i dead so i don't feel bad about feeding them live ones.

yes i have been thinking rehoming the blood parrot and pleco for a little time now since i had no3 a little higher than it should be and the pleco is beginning to get aggressive against the oscars for some reason.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Mealworms ?

FINALLY!!!!!

A person w/ common sense. B)

You have NO idea how many people have been told that or something similar as far as tank size/water quality issues & throw a fit like we're attacking them personally, or ask questions & don't care for the answer & throw a fit like a 5yr old.

VERY refreshing. ;)

Welcome to the site. B)

What is your WC schedule & how much each time?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.134 seconds