Mealworms ?

• RamBan
  • RamBan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

RamBan replied the topic: Mealworms ?

oh thank you :)
well i have been told a lot of different things from the pet store and people on aquarist groups some say u need to to do it ever 2 week, and my friend told me that he were sure i could change it twice a week. So i have not really known how much or how often i could change, but i read somewhere at this website that u should do it ones a week and about 1/3 of the tank so thats what i have been sticking to for the last 3 weeks, so advices when it comes to water changes and cleaning external pump i would love that :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Mealworms ?

You cant change too much or do too often water changes for Oscars. With your large fish and small tank I would recommend NO LESS than 2 large, say 75% changes per week. Nothing but benefit for fish. Tankspace and clean water are major factors for keeping Oscars healthy long term. Cleaning filters is really dependent on how dirty and how fast they become dirty. Never touch the bio media, and rinse the mechanical portion, be that sponges or cartridges in a bucket of tank water.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: RamBan

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Mealworms ?

Here's my tanks, inhabitants, & WC schedule of all my tanks:

55GL....N. Beani
55GL....P. Motaguensis
75GL....Red Oscar
125GL...P. Managuensis, common pleco
20GL.....Convict

75% 2X weekly. My fish thrive w/ this schedule, & I could do more as Suprd71 states......you can never ever change enough water often enough for large SA/CA cichlids.

Listen to the experts on this site...we only want to see you succeed, we have no monetary interest like a aquarium store. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RamBan

• RamBan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

oh didn't know that about oscar water changes :O i guess i will have to change more often then :)
I have never really touched the bio media that i know, i have rinsed the mechanical portion, but the sponges or cartridges i have always cleaned under cold water from the tap so guess i didn't do to bad there

i must say i have never gotten so much information about aquariums and my oscars anywhere before, thank you all so much for all the advices i get :)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

"cartridges i have always cleaned under cold water from the tap so guess i didn't do to bad there"

If you have chlorine in your tap water, this will kill any beneficial bacteria.

What type of filters do you have, brand & model exactly?

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Mealworms ?

Welcome to OFL. Glad to hear your getting the info your looking for. One of the great things about this site is if you ask a question, you'll get the right answer. And usually you'll get a response rather quickly. We like pics and vids :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• RamBan
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

well i asked my pet store and they told me that where i lived it was not to bad water so i could use it to clean the sponge/cartridges so i trusted them but i will start to clean them in water from the tank now that i know :)
i got a Eheim professional 3 - 600 (typ2075)

Are you on city water with chlorine or well water?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

"well i asked my pet store and they told me that ......."

Do yourself a favor. Do some research on the hobby, & arm yourself w/ knowledge. Next time you walk into any aquarium store, ask them a question or 2 you know the answer to. If they come back w/ the correct answer(s), great, you should have a nice working relationship w/ them.

IF they state anything else than the correct answer, say "Thanks", walk out, & find another one.

Having managed a chain of local aquarium stores in my area several years ago, I can assure you that 95% of all LFS's want 1 thing & 1 thing only: YOUR MONEY. They do not give 1 iota about your success, & good LFS's, while they are out there, are hard to find.

That's right. And all we want is your success. I want to see vids and pics of a happy oscar. And if you do it right, and I'm sure you will as you seem like someone open to advice, your fish keeping experience will be much better.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds