Baby not eating?

• JBare
  • JBare's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 56

JBare created the topic: Baby not eating?

Hi everyone! I have (2) Oscar tanks, I posted about one of them in another area because my (2) albinos aren't getting along..BUT...I also have a baby Tiger Oscar who is maybe 1'' to 2'' barely. When he first came home he did the normal "I'm going to sulk in the corner and pretend to be dead" for like 2 days, but then he started swimming around and coming to say hi. The only issue I'm having with him is I haven't seen him eat, once. He acts afraid of the food and backs away from it. Most of it sinks to the bottom, which is causing me to do water changes more often than I would prefer. Has anyone ever had a baby seem afraid to eat? Any suggestions on helping him/her not be freaked out by the food?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Baby not eating?

Hey welcome to OFL. The same questions will need to be answered for this as in your other thread. Tank size? Tank mates? Water parameters? Test kit your using to test water params? Water change sched? What is your filtration?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Baby not eating?

By the way we ask these as standard questions to start figuring out what is wrong by process of elimination. Since we don't own the tank or fish or have access to it, the more info you give us, the better. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Firestorm8215
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Firestorm8215 replied the topic: Baby not eating?

What are you feeding him?
Sometimes they just don't recognize something as food if they have been raised on, let's say flakes only, at the pet store.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Baby not eating?

In my experience, baby Oscars are little pigs and eat food like it's going out of fashion. Let them settle in and I'm sure it won't be very long before they are behaving just like they should.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Baby not eating?

welcome on board Jbare....

i have read both topic that you had posted and in both topics, you never mentioned that
you had set up the tank prior to getting the fish... that is the normal problem of most
newbie fish keepers: "get the fish and but the tank & accessories at the same time"...

you have lost one and buy a new one without knowing that your tank is not yet established.
the situation remains... UN-CYCLED TANK.

i strongly suggest surfing and reading first about tank cycling before getting another fish.

• JBare
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

JBare replied the topic: Baby not eating?

Hi everyone!

Thank-You for the responses.

My tank WAS cycled, for a year actually! I've owned fish my whole life, so definitely not a newbie, but I appreciate your candor.

I've actually owned Oscar's before as well, I just never had one act like this before. I've had 2 in the past grow to adulthood, and never had an issue with either of them ever eating. Like mentioned below, they ate like pigs. My little baby is eating like a pig now though, so I am guessing he just needed some more time to "come around".

• JBare
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

JBare replied the topic: Baby not eating?

This I think was also a part of the issue, he will ONLY eat flake food. Yuck. :sick:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds