feeding

• shuddie04
  • shuddie04's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

shuddie04 created the topic: feeding

I am new here, I bought my Lutino "O'' about 1 month ago, i named him Caesar, hE's 3 inches that time and now He's 4.2". the shopkeeper told me that they fed it with pellets, i bought my oscar together with the pellet. but when i put him on my tank, week past, still he's not eating the pellets. i worried about this, i'm thinking that he would die because he did'nt eat since i bought him. i search the net for some alternatives, then i found out that Oscar eats worms and guppies. it's about month, that he eats guppies and earthworm. i also feed him some cuts of chicken breast. i dont want him to be spoiled in this type of diet, i want him to eat pellets, what can i do to make him eat pellet? thanks. :blush:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:feeding

Don't feed him anything until he eats the pellets. They can go weeks without eating. He will give in sooner or later. They are far to hungry to not eat. Also no more feeder fish!! Very bad. They carry disease that he will eventually get and the are not nutritious at all. Also no more chicken that is just a bad meat to feed them. Get some raw market shrimp, freeze dried krill, frozen blood worms for treats. But the staple of his diet should be a good quality pellet like omega one cichlid pellets or hikari cichlid gold. Oscars can be drama queens when moved to a new environment and can sulk for a few hours to a few weeks without eating and hiding. Is your filter cycled? What is your filtration? What size is the tank and what tankmates? Without proper tank size, filtration, and lots of clean water they suffer. So we can give you proper guidance.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.
The following user(s) said Thank You: shuddie04

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: feeding

Welcome to our community. The first thing I should say is that we don't really advise feeding animal meat. Okay, white chicken meat isn't too fatty, but it will still contain some saturated fat which is not good for fish. Secondly we don't advise feeling alive fish bought from the fish store as they can often parasites and diseases.

As for worms, they are a great source of nutrition for your Oscar. the way I see it, you are probably better off feeding your fish on worms if it won't accept pellets, after all, birds eat worms, they feed them to their checks, so they obviously contain all the right nutrients.However I would definitely attempt to try and get your Oscar to it pallets if you can. You could try feeding small pieces of chopped worm that are the same size as pallets, put them in at the same time and see what happens. It may take a while, but I don't see why you can't get your Oscar to it pallets eventually.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• shuddie04
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

shuddie04 replied the topic: Re:feeding

Thanks buddy, i'll try what u said.. I have 55 gal. tank, he's all alone. i have a mechanical top filter. i do 50% wc every 3-4 days, because my filter can't filter the whole tank only half of it. sometimes i give him some live shrimps but he can't catch them. so i decided to cut the shrimps tail so they can't swim faster. and b able to catch them.

• shuddie04
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

shuddie04 replied the topic: feeding

I also wonder why he dont eat pellets after i bought him. i dont give him live fish from pet store. i order guppies from the fishermen fresh from the small river near our home. i have angel drops vita, i submerged the earthworm first into it for some couple of minutes before i gave it to him. i'm looking forward that I can be a good fishkeeper sooner with the help of you guys. thanks. ;)

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: feeding

"i order guppies from the fishermen fresh from the small river near our home."

Do not feed any live aquatic food of any kind whatsoever, regardless of source. To do so is to invite disaster. No live shrimp, no guppies from the river, NOTHING. Earthworms are OK. He will eat pellets eventually, give it time.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: feeding

An oscar will never starve to death, they are too greedy

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.108 seconds