Tiger Oscars active and interested in food BUT not eating well

• ahmerzrealm
  • ahmerzrealm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

ahmerzrealm created the topic: Tiger Oscars active and interested in food BUT not eating well

I have a new well cycled tank and just got started with Oscars. I had an African Cichlid tank for about 5 years before having to give them up for reasons beyond my control. You can say I have a fair idea of what I am doing.

Currently I have a baby Oscar about 2 inches and then a slightly bigger at about 3.5 inches or so. They are both very active and seem to get along just fine. It took the little one about 1 week before he started showing interest in food and the bigger one about 2 weeks. I was relieved when both started getting excited at the prospect of food. But much to my dismay the only eat 3 to 4 medium pellets (Omega One). I figured they didnt like Omega so I got them Hikari Cichlid staple instead. Same thing. I got worried that maybe they have internal parasites or some other internal infection and am currently treating them with Seachem Polyguard.

I test my water regularly and all is good. I cranked up the temp to 82 F to help fight off any possible disease they might have.

So in the end my oscars are not eating well at all despite showing interest at feeding time. I have noticed that the larger one something "darts" around in the tank as if he was being chased but the little is always in his little world. I do recall during my african cichlid years that was indication of illness. Your thoughts on that will be appreciated.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Tiger Oscars active and interested in food BUT not eating well

What size aquarium?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Tiger Oscars active and interested in food BUT not eating well

What was the temp before you raised it to 82? Oscars do better at 82. How long has the tank been cycled?

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• ahmerzrealm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ahmerzrealm replied the topic: Tiger Oscars active and interested in food BUT not eating well

Thank you for your quick assistance.

Size : 75 gallons

The tank has been cycled for a month. I used Seachem Stability and am still add it on a daily basis, just to be on the safe side till things normalize. I normally keep the tank at 80 F but as mentioned before it is currently at 82 F. As for the size I think its adequate for now. I am not sure if I mentioned that I will be getting a 125 gallon tank by the end of the year ( or sooner if push comes to shove).

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Tiger Oscars active and interested in food BUT not eating well

"The tank has been cycled for a month."

Filters cycle, not aquariums.

Please clarify.....it's been set up for 4 weeks total?

75GL is sufficient for 1 Oscar only, regardless of current size. I would get that 125GL now.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• ahmerzrealm
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

ahmerzrealm replied the topic: Tiger Oscars active and interested in food BUT not eating well

Thats exactly what I was referring to. The filters have been cycled. They have sufficient bacteria on them to provide a healthy water quality to sustain them.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Please answer the question: exactly how long have the filters been up & running?

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Tiger Oscars active and interested in food BUT not eating well

But much to my dismay the only eat 3 to 4 medium pellets (Omega One)

personally i would feed small pellets until they get a little bit bigger i would also feed them twice a day until they get 5 inches or so

do you test your water with a liquid test kit or strips ?

and i agree with darth your going to need that big tank very soon

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Tiger Oscars active and interested in food BUT not eating well

Agree with face I feed my 4 inch o mini pellets less of a mess and he devours them instantly

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Tiger Oscars active and interested in food BUT not eating well

Medium sized Omega one pellets are a bit too large and hard for them to swallow. Plus it gets bigger in their stomachs. Switch to one size smaller pellet. Just because it fits in their mouth, doesn't mean they can swallow it.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds