Bugs & Beetles, Freezing?

• katzintheclouds
  • katzintheclouds's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

katzintheclouds created the topic: Bugs & Beetles, Freezing?

Hello! I am a happy momma to a very large Oscar who like they should be, is constantly hungry. I live back in the woods and have a great buffet of insects this time of year including his favorite, Japanese beetles. My question is, how many should I feed him at a time? And is there a way to freeze them or is that not a smart decision? There is often a plethora of them out in the garden so I get excited and often pick too many at a time.

Any suggestions?

Also, I've been in a debate with my mother who likes to come and feed him, she sees how excited he CONSTANTLY is and how he always acts like he's starving and falls for it. I've explained that she can't feed him every time she comes in and she always assumes that he's hungry. Am I right to try and limit him to two feedings a day? Maybe 1 block of bloodworms, a few pellets and an insect or two? Or is that too much.

Thanks ahead of time!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• katzintheclouds
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

katzintheclouds replied the topic: Bugs & Beetles, Freezing?

I also wanted to mention that my daughter also consistently gets upset when she sees him "getting mad" because she thinks we aren't feeding him enough. Just can't win! She's young and doesn't understand so I think it's a learning curve. We all need to have a class on oscars I think.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Bugs & Beetles, Freezing?

Depends on a couple things. The most important being age. When you say large, how old and big is the oscar? And what size is the tank?

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• katzintheclouds
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

katzintheclouds replied the topic: Re:Bugs & Beetles, Freezing?

He's about 3 years old, and he's huge lol he's in a 60 gallon by himself. He's about 9 inches long.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Bugs & Beetles, Freezing?

At 3yrs and 9ins the fish is actually a little on the small side. 2 things to do better by your fish.. do not feed every day, every 2nd or 3x weekly is plenty. You have a large fish in a small tank, you need to keep waste production low to keep water quality high. And, on that subject, I recommend you change at MINIMUM 50% of the water 2x weekly, using a quality conditioner at each change. I suspect your fish may be living in less than ideal water, and I assume this from its small size. Perhaps I am incorrect, dont take this as being critical, but experience tells me this is likely so.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Bugs & Beetles, Freezing?

I agree. Your fish is on the small size for his age and the most likely cause and most common cause for this, is as said, less then ideal water. They need lots of large water changes to be healthy. Even what appears to be healthy now can be deathly sick tomorrow. It happens that fast. Only feed the amount stated. After they are a year old they only should be fed every couple days. It takes around 3 days to digest a large meal. Tell us more about your set up.... your filtration.. what temp you keep the tank at... how often and how much you change your water and we can give you some pointers to keep him or her healthy for a lot of years. Pics and/or vid will help too.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Bugs & Beetles, Freezing?

i agree with the above comments but to answer your question about freezing bugs i wouldn't freezing anything with its entrails still in is a bad idea and welcome to oscar fish lovers

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Bugs & Beetles, Freezing?

Me personally......I wouldn't feed any insects from the wild......small chance, but some may get fertilizers or even pesticides on or in them, which in turn can be introduced to your fish. That would be classified as "not good".

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.138 seconds