Yum treat

• Craigsfish
  • Craigsfish's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish created the topic: Yum treat

Buster had himself a treat last night. Found a small tree frog on the porch, decided to put in the tank for Buster...Boy o boy did he enjoy that...wish I would of took small video of it. Buster is only 4-5 inches but has a adult appetite!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Yum treat

I would advise against feeding aquatic/semi-aquatic live food......too much risk of contamination.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Yum treat

Hmmm. Interesting article, although they do argue strongly against feeding live aquatic animals to an oscar. So Darth's suggestion seems pretty valid. Not at all sure about frogs, the article doesn't mention them, but seems they might have lots of crazy unknown bacteria.

I found the warning against feeding convict fry to an oscar especially interesting, given the recent discussion about feeding the HRP fry. Those buggers are fast! Learning lots from reading this site!

ETA: There is also this informative thread from this site from a couple of years ago specifically on the risks of feeding oscars frogs, toads and tadpoles.
www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/69-diet-and-feeding/222962-tadpoles-small-frogs-from-the-wild-viable-food

• Craigsfish
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Craigsfish replied the topic: Yum treat

good read!

• Craigsfish
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

To bad they don't make Can-o- Froggy....

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Feeding of any live aquatic or semi-aquatic food is fraught w/ peril......unless you can guarantee 110% absolute laboratory sterility, not a chance I would take. Far easier to avoid potential problems by not introducing any problems into your aquarium than trying to eradicate it afterward.

I do feed all my cichlids live food....giant mealworms & earthworms are part of the menu. But I have never given any sort of aquatic food to my cichlids.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Craigsfish
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Yea, better safe then sorry. worms and can o crickets from here on out.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

I tried those grasshoppers in a can....my Jag crushed it, but spat it out.....I wound up using them for trout bait, worked pretty good. B)

• Craigsfish
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

lol...Ive had always fed my Oscars can o crickets....never had a picky one yet lol...

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Yum treat

I've had success with the canned critters as well. I'm also trying to get my oscar to eat the last remaining HRP fry in my tank. They were born and raised in the same tank with the oscar though, so there would be a very low chance of any problems. When I got my oscar, I treated him with a battery of treatments as he was wild caught and I wanted to eradicate any possible nasties he may bring into the tank, since tank raised fish they come in contact with tend to be more susceptible to the things the wilds can withstand. I would never feed any aquatic critters that I didn't raise. I just hope I can get the HRP's out before they get old enough to spawn themselves. I don't want to get over run with them. They can be a real nuisance and over populate fast if given the chance. Unlike cons though they have much much smaller spawns.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.119 seconds