Do Oscars need greens?

• scarruth
  • scarruth's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

scarruth created the topic: Do Oscars need greens?

The title says it all. Last night I went to feed my Pleco an algae disk, my JD took a stab at it first. Then my Oscar came in and inhaled it. So I'm curious should I put some greens in his diet?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Do Oscars need greens?

Absolutely. Oscars are omnivorous, & do need vegetable matter as well as Vitamin C in their diet.....in the wild, Oscars will eat fruit that falls into the water.

I give mine (in addition to his Omega One cichlid pellets) peas, cantaloupe, small bits of apple, blueberry Koi food....I would also recommend feeding Oscars FD krill marinated overnight in a sealed container, like a Tupperware, in the fridge....this way you will ensure he gets the vitamins it needs....lack of Vitamin C is thought to help contribute to HITH.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Do Oscars need greens?

Some veg matter is an essential part of an Oscars diet. If he will eat raw veg thats great. If not, a spirulina based pellet, kelp pellet or veg discs are good. You can also get spirulina powder from any health food store. Sprinkle some on damp food like chopped tilapia or shrimp. Fish should have some veg intake a couple times a week, or as about 25% of the overall diet.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Do Oscars need greens?

Darth Nandopsis wrote: I would also recommend feeding Oscars FD krill marinated overnight in a sealed container, like a Tupperware, in the fridge....this way you will ensure he gets the vitamins it needs....

What mixture do you marinate the FD krill in?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Do Oscars need greens?

You have to experiment a bit until you get used to the proper amount. I use Boyd's on everything, pellets I let soak for about 5 mins. Stuff aint cheap, you dont want to waste any. Ideally you want the food to soak up all the liquid. I make a home brew with tilapia and shrimp. Throw some fd krill and bloodworm in, some kelp pellets. Sprinkle with spirulina powder and soak the whole deal in vitamins. Makes a green goopy mess, but fish love it and is very good nutritionally. All fish, from my Severums up to my large Oscars and Jaguar gobble it right down.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Do Oscars need greens?

Sorry.....my coffee maker went on the fritz today, didn't have time to stop before work :pinch: ....

Yep, Boyd's VitaChem......GREAT stuff, highly recommend.....I grab a handful, use just enough to cover FD krill (FD mealworms work OK too, not as good as FD krill), so I have enough for about a week....I feed this stuff to my fish every day, maybe a piece or 2.....then I fast all my fish on Sunday.

Just make sure to keep both krill AND BVC in fridge.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Do Oscars need greens?

I have an oscar who tries vegetables for silver dollars and pleco. He spits it out soon enough after trying.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Do Oscars need greens?

My oscar must love the taste of boyd's vitachem, because he strikes at anything soaked with it. I've tried it with FD krill - that works well. As for vegetables, I sometimes feed him veggie wafers with a few drops of vitachem.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Do Oscars need greens?

UNC-CH wrote: My oscar must love the taste of boyd's vitachem, because he strikes at anything soaked with it. I've tried it with FD krill - that works well. As for vegetables, I sometimes feed him veggie wafers with a few drops of vitachem.

I have been using Seachem Nourish because it contains spirulina, but Poseidon doesn't seem to like the taste, so I am switching to Boyds to see if he will like that better. We will see. It is a bit more expensive than Nourish, but many rave about it here, so thought I will give it a whirl too to compare.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Do Oscars need greens?

Is there such thing as a poisonous green for oscars?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds