Anyone ever try Aqueon Cichlid pellets?

• DMD123
  • DMD123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 187

DMD123 created the topic: Anyone ever try Aqueon Cichlid pellets?

Just a simple question: Anyone ever try Aqueon Cichlid pellets? Your thoughts?

Specs on it:
Ingredients:
Whole Fish Meal (Whole salmon, herring & other mixed fishes), Whole Wheat Flour, Whole Dried Krill, Wheat Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Squid Meal, Dried Yeast, Fish Oil, Kelp Meal, Garlic, Spirulina, Marigold Powder, Chili Powder, Natural Astaxanthin, Choline Chloride, Calcium Propionate (a preservative), L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (source of vitamin D3), Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Menadione Sodium Bisulphite Complex (source of vitamin K activity), Folic acid, Thiamine, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (B6), Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, DL-Alphatocopherol (E), Manganese sulfate, Cobalt sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate.

Guaranteed Analysis:
Crude Protein (min.) 42%, Crude Fat (min.) 8%, Crude Fiber (max.) 3%, Moisture (max.) 9%, Phosphorus (min.) 1%.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Anyone ever try Aqueon Cichlid pellets?

I have a bag of the the "color enhancing" mini pellets, not sure where or when I got them but I'm glad I have them because they are the only thing my 1 1/4" (crossing fingers for a female) Red Terror will eat.

Not much help I know :unsure:
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 replied the topic: Anyone ever try Aqueon Cichlid pellets?

Thank you for that. The reviews are kind of all over the board. Some say it is crap and others think its got some redeeming value.

Not sure the feelings about posting a link to that 'other' oscar site but a review: www.oscarfish.com/4-star-foods/198-aqueon-cichlid-pellet.html

The main thing that intrigues me is this ingredient, Marigold Powder. This is supposed to enhance yellows found in our finned friends. With a Bumblebee Oscar on the way Im contemplating a try. I have a friend who used this on his fish and I thought they had some pretty nice colors.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

My current food mix includes a diet of mixed pellet types from both Omega One and NLS. Both of these will enhance reds but I dont want that.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Anyone ever try Aqueon Cichlid pellets?

I don't know the criteria for the food rankings, but they have it ranked higher than Hikari gold and Omega one which a lot of folks around here (including myself) use on a regular basis. I am a member on that site but very rarely ever use it...this will give me some reading material.

I am curious about this Northfin pellet food as their 1st ever 6 star fish food.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DBLN8 wrote: I don't know the criteria for the food rankings, but they have it ranked higher than Hikari gold and Omega one which a lot of folks around here (including myself) use on a regular basis. I am a member on that site but very rarely ever use it...this will give me some reading material.

I am curious about this Northfin pellet food as their 1st ever 6 star fish food.

Do you have a link to the review? I cant seem to find anything...

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

There was a big fad on my local forum with people using Southern Delight fish foods. I tried it and did not like the mess it made. Lots of surface scum and oil slick. It did seem like my fish did get a growth spurt on it.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Anyone ever try Aqueon Cichlid pellets?

This might be useful re: yellow pigment www.sonnysfishroom.com/?page_id=252 but if the yellow is due to pigments called pteridines and not a carotenoid then there isn't really anything you can feed to bring out the yellow colour. Carotenes are metabolised (gotten from food), but pteridine pigments in xanthophores (cells containing yellow pigment) use different biochemical pathways.

I don't know much about marigold powder, but I doubt it'd do much. Maybe try and get it to eat yellow bell peppers lol.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

On the 'other' Oscar forum they did give some recognition to the fact that the Aqueon used ingredients known to highlight the yellows and blues and not just red. I could always go back to using Dainichi color but that stuff is just plain expensive and hard to find the same formula unless you buy direct.

• Thank you received: 1

Cichlidg33k replied the topic: Anyone ever try Aqueon Cichlid pellets?

I've been using Aqueon Cichlid pellets for about a year, mixed with other foods. I've been happy with it. It's not super expensive and my Cichlids look great. Don't have any yellow fish though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds