Hikari Sinking Pellets

• ernie
  • ernie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 97

ernie created the topic: Hikari Sinking Pellets

I have been feeding my 2 Oscars Hikari Gold Floating Pellets and have found that during feeding, while they are climbing over each other to get to their food they spook each other. They can sometimes bang into the side of the tank and have taken scales off , very frustrating to watch. I purchased some Hikari Gold Sinking Pellets and bingo problem fixed. I mix the 2 types of pellets and find that while one is searching the top for food the other will be down the bottom looking for food. in fact I find the sinking pellets more of a challenge and they have to work a little harder to find them all. I am not sure if single dwelling Oscars have this issue but I found it worked for my two.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Hikari Sinking Pellets

With my community of large fish it best to mix the floating and sinking along with different sizes too. Even with the big pearsei she still gets a 2mm floating pellet in the mix to slow her down and let the other fish eat.

• ernie
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

ernie replied the topic: Re:Hikari Sinking Pellets

Oops wrong category can one of the Mods move to Diet and Feeding please

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Hikari Sinking Pellets

I've always had a fear, probably more like unwarranted paranoia, that Oscars will accidentally swallow some substrate while scouring for sinking pellets. I know they dig, spit gravel all the time, but their objective is not to eat the gravel. A little out there? Possibly I suppose.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Hikari Sinking Pellets

They do get excited for food don't they. To stop WW3 during feeding time for mine I handfeed a couple of floating pellets each to Henry and Adie, then I put in some sinking veggie pellets for the SDs. Adie chases after them down the bottom with the SDs, and Henry hangs at the top so I give him a couple more floating ones.

@Suprd: That's why I like sand. I worried a lot about Henry doing that with gravel, but with sand I figure that if he does accidentally swallow a bit it's a lot less likely to do damage than him accidentally eating gravel.

• Thank you received: 0

Wizzah replied the topic: Re:Hikari Sinking Pellets

My oscars wont even look at sinking pellets. they'll eat them before they sink but as soon as they sink 10cm or so, they're done.

• ernie
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Wizzah wrote: My oscars wont even look at sinking pellets. they'll eat them before they sink but as soon as they sink 10cm or so, they're done.

Mine were the same for a while but after a little retraining worked out there was more food on the bottom of the tank. Oscars do not take a lot of encouragement to eat !!

• ernie
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: I've always had a fear, probably more like unwarranted paranoia, that Oscars will accidentally swallow some substrate while scouring for sinking pellets. I know they dig, spit gravel all the time, but their objective is not to eat the gravel. A little out there? Possibly I suppose.

Suprd71 when I watch them eat they actually suck the pellets up and avoid taking in any gravel but I know what you are saying about accidentally swallowing some.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds