6 inches = 1 feeding per day?

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 created the topic: 6 inches = 1 feeding per day?

I just wanted to get some confirmation on when to switch from feeding twice a day to once a day for my growing O. Poseidon is about 6 months and 6 inches long. Is that about the time I should stop feeding twice a day? He would surely eat more than I give him, but I have been finding the nitrates climbing more than when he was in a smaller tank and with a pleco, so figure he is upping his bio-load by a lot. I am thinking feeding less will help over all with the water quality, but also don't want to undernourish him.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: 6 inches = 1 feeding per day?

I asked about something similar not too long ago and Suprd was great help. Kinda hijacked this thread www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/69-diet-and-feeding/304824-what-kind-of-vegatables-can-i-feed-to-my-o

If you don't get a chance to read, I was told to start skipping a day a week when they hit 6 inches, so I'd definitely drop to once a day. Henry's been getting fed once a day since he was around 5 inches (maybe a tiny bit bigger) with no ill effects at all. It's a lot easier to overfeed than underfeed oscars I think :P
The following user(s) said Thank You: Poseidon2.0

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: 6 inches = 1 feeding per day?

Thanks. I think my question was partly based on a vague memory of reading that thread. I will make sure to skip one day a week or so as well. I have recently begun marinating his food in Seachem Nourish, because it contains spirulina. He has been rejecting pellets and demanding only shrimp marinade since the change, but I will train him back to his senses.

You'll find cutting down feeding helps a ton with that. Henry was getting iffy about eating pellets which is part of why I dropped down to once a day. Now he doesn't refuse anything. Even algae discs (which he used to hate) that I like to only give to the SDs he steals and stuffs his face with if given the opportunity.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 6 inches = 1 feeding per day?

all my fish are trained of one feeding only per day...no matter what size they are... even the fries
and i can switched to any food available with hassle LOL!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 6 inches = 1 feeding per day?

Here's the schedule I have all my fish on:

Monday: Feed 2X FD krill (Boyd's VC)
Tuesday: Feed Omega One pellets 1X as much as they will take
Wed: Feed 2X Omega One Veggie pellets OR Koi fruit based food...has wheat germ, etc in it.
Thursday: Feed 2X FD krill (Boyd's VC)
Friday: Fast
Saturday: Some sort of raw fruit or veggie (apples, peas, bananas, spinach,frozen berries(thawed) etc)
Sunday: fast & 90% WC day on all tanks. I used to do every tank every 75% 3rd day, but this works out better for me & my water bill. :laugh:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 6 inches = 1 feeding per day?

Pricey I know, but your meanies would love Massivore Jack. Its a huge pellet, 2-3 each would suffice for a daily offering. Bulk purchase may not hurt the wallet too bad.

Cheapest I could find it is $23.99 for 13.4 oz.....no way.....1st off, I'm a cheap Scotsman.....hell, I love Parma Proscuitto, but ain't no way in hell I'm paying $40 a pound for anything.....so no way I'm paying @4 bucks for a small package of fish food. Ain't happening. :laugh:

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: 6 inches = 1 feeding per day?

Interesting. So many different foods to consider! Could a six inch O handle the Massivore pellets?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 6 inches = 1 feeding per day?

They break in half easily enough, but I dont give Oscars Massivore very often. High protein, its more of a treat, 2-3 times a month. They sure do like it though. My O's are quite large, foot long or better, they prob get a half dozen pellets each in a month.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Hmm, I should look into Massivore for the umbee when he's no longer pocket sized. I have a mortar and pestle though so I wonder if it'd be worth getting some and crushing them up for him?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.137 seconds