My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

• acdcking12
  • acdcking12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

acdcking12 created the topic: My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

So you guys know of the issues I have had with my Oscar eating food. He wants what he wants...period.

Well, I never managed to starve him long enough to where he would eat a steady diet of pellets. My wife kept feeding him krill, etc in the mornings. No wonder he wouldnt eat the pellets.

So, I decided to try a new food on him. I gave him a large Night crawler. He destroyed that as fast as possible. And then he wanted more. SO now all he will eat are the night crawlers. Sigh. He wont eat anything else, period.

So my wife is telling me to feed him what the fish wants so the fish will be happy. I think he will not get many nutrients from a worm. So do I insist that we starve the fish until he eats pellets? Is it as battle worth fighting with my wife? (Those can hurt me sometimes).

I have never had these kind of issues with a fish before. It's not like I can spank him and insist he eats his vegetables. Laugh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

Worms are more nutritious than you think!

My Texas only eats live worms or crushed thawed shrimp (uncooked).

It's probably best that your fish would take a pellet. But.. if he won't..what can you do?

You could always soak that krill/shrimp/prawn in vitamins.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

acdcking12 wrote: It's not like I can spank him and insist he eats his vegetables. Laugh

You could try, but that would be really weird. Not recommended - maybe try that on your wife first? :laugh:

How often do you feed your oscar? I think above 5 inches they should only be fed once a day, and above 6 inches they should have at least 1 day a week as a 'starve' day. If you're feeding 2x a day or more then try dropping back to once a day and see if that makes a difference. A hungry oscar's a lot more willing to try eating different things. If that doesn't work, I'd recommend offering krill/night crawlers soaked in vitachem for a few days so he associates the garlicky smell with food, then switch to soaking pellets in it and only offer them till he starts eating them.

My RD had the opposite issue where she'd only eat pellets and nothing else. I got her out of it by just withholding pellets and offering her the same food everyone else got. Pea night? She got peas or went hungry. Krill night? She got krill or went hungry. I think it only took 2 or 3 days of her not eating anything before she'd begrudgingly have one piece of food she didn't like. There were a few tantrums (I got quite damp a few times), but she now eats everything offered because she learned it's that or nothing.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

"My Texas only eats live worms or crushed thawed shrimp (uncooked)."

That is because he has trained you to give him what he prefers. B)

Fish can go 2 weeks before any ill effects start to show. You can train any fish to eat pellets......it simply requires willpower on the owners part. Simply do not feed him anything for a week. Along w/ this, do very frequent WC's (75% every other day) & raise the temp a degree or 2. This will stimulate his metabolism. My jag didn't want pellets.....so I didn't feed him for a week & a 1/2.

Appetite makes the best sauce. B)

Guess what? He now accepts pellets. GREEDILY B)

I would recommend using Omega One cichlid pellets. All my fish accept them w/ gusto. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

:laugh: no really, I tried! She's 3 and just this past summer I was able to get her to eat shrimp. (Live worms get expensive). It took a week! She would eat flake when she was little, but suddenly refused. Then refused pellets..she's never eaten a single one! I wish she would. Pellets are much cheaper!

Regardless, I readily admit I am fish trained...so you are right on that one :)

Darth Nandopsis wrote: "My Texas only eats live worms or crushed thawed shrimp (uncooked)."

That is because he has trained you to give him what he prefers. B)

Fish can go 2 weeks before any ill effects start to show. You can train any fish to eat pellets......it simply requires willpower on the owners part. Simply do not feed him anything for a week. Along w/ this, do very frequent WC's (75% every other day) & raise the temp a degree or 2. This will stimulate his metabolism. My jag didn't want pellets.....so I didn't feed him for a week & a 1/2.

Appetite makes the best sauce. B)

Guess what? He now accepts pellets. GREEDILY B)

I would recommend using Omega One cichlid pellets. All my fish accept them w/ gusto. B)

• acdcking12
  • acdcking12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10

acdcking12 replied the topic: My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

I have a lot of issues not feeding him. I enjoy it. SO it is hard to not feed him when I know he is hungry. Even if he is stubborn as hell.

I walk by and he flies to the top so fast, he hits his head on the lid. And you put anything but worms in, he will then go back down to a corner and not move. Sigh

He is a monster. But I love him anyway.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

if you cannot dish out the tough love ~ can't really do much to train your oscar to eat pellets. the only suggestion is to limit one feeding for 3 days with the night crawlers if that's the only thing he eats. and maybe drop a pellet in there after that.....

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

I am having a similar struggle with my O currently. Didn't know about the week of starving method though. I am going away for 5 days, so perhaps will just tell the sitter not to feed him anything. This morning he spat out his Koi veg&fruit pellets that I have started him on as if they were so much cardboard. He was fine initially with them though.

But then I got the idea (I'm looking at your Suprd :whistle: ) of feeding him vitamin soaked tilapia and shrimp and now he doesn't want anything else again. Ho hum. We will get there. Eventually.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

Its tough once you get them accustomed to eating treats as their main diet. And of all the fish Ive owned Oscars are the worst at training you what they want. I believe in the tough love method and usually will take it out about two weeks at a time with just 100% the pellet you want to feed. If they have not eaten any I will give in with one meal of what they like and then go for another two week stint. Usually they come around.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: My freaking crazy Oscar is at it again.

@ Poseidon: I'd definitely suggest you get your sitter not to feed your O while you're gone. I've heard too many stories about fish-sitters dumping half the container of pellets in :S Your O's around Henry's size - he won't have an issue going without food, and it'll lessen the likelihood of any water quality issues while you're away.

Henry started getting picky with food around the 5inch mark, but feeding him less in general made a lot of difference. I wonder if keeping other fish with him helps too. The SDs eat everything in sight. Maybe the (imaginary because I handfeed Henry) competition for food with other fish makes Henry a bit less picky than other Os seem to be.

Edit: The other thing that's been working for me is to constantly switch things around. I rarely feed the same food two days in a row. I think it helps to prevent boredom from eating the same food all the time, and also stops my fish from getting too accustomed to one sort of food (therefore becoming picky).

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds