Need to vary my O's diet

• G6DDS
  • G6DDS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5

G6DDS created the topic: Need to vary my O's diet

I've had my Oscar for 2 weeks now and have been feeding him New Era pellets (1 pellet 3 times a day)
He loves earthworms and has been getting 1 every 3rd day, he ate frozen peas once but not interested now and the same with oranges.
Sunday is starve day.
What else can i try to feed him so he doesn't get use to the new era pellets too much?

Edit: He is only 2.5 inches

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Need to vary my O's diet

I wouldn't do a starve day with him just yet, wait until he gets too 6" or so.

You can use other types of pellets Hikari Gold, Omega one,a lot of us use freeze dried krill soaked in Boyds Vita chem (soak overnight must be refrigerated) along with peas and earth worms that's a very varied diet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Need to vary my O's diet

Try some freeze drieds, I like the Omega1 brands. Krill, tubifex worm, bloodworm, brine shrimp. From the grocery store you can get tilapia and raw shrimp. Gotta have some veg, if he is off the peas, get a veg based pellet or wafer. I wouldnt be skipping a day of feed just yet, I normally do that when they hit 6ins or so. Vitamin supplement a great boost, aids in bone structure and overall health. Important in particular during his growth spurt months of 3-9. Search for Boyd's VitaChem or Seachem Nourish.
Norman beat me to that one.. but exactly correct as usual!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Need to vary my O's diet

Big Omega One fish food users here! With the small size I like the floating Kelp and Super Color pellets. Once they get a bit of size on them I move up to the floating medium cichlid. I will also break up Omega One Algae wafers and feed these too. But I end up mixing a few different dry foods so that my fish usually will eat just about any pellet. So I also have NLS and Dainichi in there. I use freeze dried krill/shrimp and also use vitamin supplements like the Boyd's. For treats they get earthworms and sometimes crickets.

• G6DDS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

G6DDS replied the topic: Need to vary my O's diet

Thanks all. Have just ordered hikari gold, krill and sachem nourish. I have some pleco wafers left from when i had a bristle nose can i use them too?

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Need to vary my O's diet

Oscar should love the plec wafers. Most of us who keep both together have a hard time feeding plecs, as Oscars always steal the wafers! What size pellets did you get? Smaller the better for little O's. Their mouths are bigger than their throats, and food may be wasted by spewing crumbs out the gills. Even my foot long Oscars still eat medium pellets.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• G6DDS
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

G6DDS replied the topic: Need to vary my O's diet

I ordered the small pellets.
I have to break up the new era pellets into small pieces for him just now but still get some waste coming from his gills. That was the only way my blood parrot could get any food when housed with the O, always following him during feeding and sucking up the waste.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds