Sound of crickets chirping

• Poseidon2.0
  • Poseidon2.0's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 created the topic: Sound of crickets chirping

Tried to feed a store-bought cricket to my oscar this morning for the first time. Dropped it in and watched it float away from view on its back (doing the back stroke I guess). Poseidon was on the other side of the tank at that moment, but as I heard they "drown easily" I assumed he would be done for soon enough. Not so. Apparently he got out of the tank via the bamboo I have growing out the back in one corner and managed to make it down the hallway and started chirping away. Bad move. My cats got hold of him and tore off a couple of its legs. :evil: I found it flopping about so tossed it back in the tank and Poseidon was at the ready this time. He was extremely pleased with himself afterwards and started hanging around the top of the tank waiting for more and chasing the GDs around. (Video quality is poor, so best kept out of full screen mode.)

Stupidly bought 10 crickets yesterday. Not sure they will last long enough for me to feed them all to my O. Am thinking one every second or third day, but better would be once or twice a week I think, but not likely to last more than a month in that plastic container. Feels like I am outside when I hear them chirp. :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Sound of crickets chirping

I buy crickets for my O get about 25 for $5 and the sound they make chirping I find quite peaceful. My Oscars must be like Poseidon sometimes when I give them a cricket they are gone before they hit the water, other times they leave them and float around the top until they escape. Unfortunately this can't happen again because my Wife freaks when crickets get out!!! lol

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Sound of crickets chirping

How often do you feed them too him? I don't want to over do it. My wife is the same way with the crickets, but luckily our cats take care of any of our large bug "issues" quite handily.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Sound of crickets chirping

I feed them to my Oscars about every 3 days but I find not a lot of crickets survive after about 10 to 12 days. They are just a treat they get once a month.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Sound of crickets chirping

Just wondering do you breed crickets?

• Poseidon2.0
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Sound of crickets chirping

I don't, but from what I gather, it wouldn't be that hard. The down side is the smell that goes along with them. Not suppose to be the best sensory experience. :lol:

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:Sound of crickets chirping

Yeah the smell really gets overwhelming. You can try gutted meal worms. It's easier to store and can keep longer than crickets.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Re:Sound of crickets chirping

Dubai roaches are easier to breed and more nutritious than crickets. They don't smell,make noise and can't climb out of there breeding container.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Sound of crickets chirping

My wife doesn't like crickets in the house....NO WAY she would allow roaches in the house.....I stick w/ giant mealworms & nightcrawlers. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 11

Jauch21 replied the topic: Sound of crickets chirping

My oscar is always hesitant to eat new things. Recently tried krill and took him awhile to figure out it was food.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds