Getting my new baby oscar to eat

• Mcgold76
  • Mcgold76's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Mcgold76 created the topic: Getting my new baby oscar to eat

So got my very first oscar 2 days ago. Have yet to get him to eat. Have tried Hikari gold baby size pellets and omega one flakes. Tried to entice him with live brine shrimp but he ignored it even though the shrimp swam right by his mouth. Wondering of the duckweed oj my tank makes it difficult to see the food. He has put some duckweed in his mouth and then spit it out. Have some frozen krill, baby brine shrimp and Cyclopeeze. So wondering if those will entice him. Besides not eating he looks good. Hangs out at top of tank and not scared of me at all

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Getting my new baby oscar to eat

Need these questions answered:

What size tank? Any tankmates?

What filtration? How long has the filter been cycled?

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH? What are you using to conduct these tests?

What temperature is the water?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Getting my new baby oscar to eat

Welcome to OFL. You will need to answer the above questions to get an understanding of any underlying reasons that it may not be eating food. They all will impact the actions of aquarium fish. Congrats on the oscar. You will enjoy it for sure. Post some pics or a vid.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Mcgold76
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Mcgold76 replied the topic: Re:Getting my new baby oscar to eat

Tank was an already cycled tank that was used for three years as a community tank. 75 gallon tank with an aquaclear 110 and an eheim 2215. Current tank mate is an african brown knifefish they is about 8 inches who I will keep an eye. Also have a single black neon tetra that I spent 2 hours trying to catch. So he is on his own.

Ammonia and nitrite is zero. Nitrate in the 15/20 range. Ph about 7.2. Using api liquid tests. Temp at about 80.

He is very active and comes to the top of tank when i go to feed. He just doesn't seem to want to eat. Wondering if my floating plants might be confusing him. Lots of duckweed and pennywort. Think he might be nibbling on the duckweed.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Getting my new baby oscar to eat

Hello and welcome to OFL. Great set up and great readings, however, you should think about rehoming your knife fish eventually as the oscar will eventually take up the whole tank. We recommend 75 gallons as a minimum for a single oscar here. I assume this is a 4 foot 75 gallon? The bio-load for both fish will become an issue when Oscar is a bit bigger. They are very messy fish.

As for your feeding issues, it may well be that he is just adjusting to the new tank. Maybe try sinking pellets if you think he is confused (but he probably just doesn't feel like eating). Raw fish (or shrimp) marinated in a liquid vitamin supplement (like Seachem Nourish) is also a good thing to try (depending how big he is). You can cut it small if need be (and importantly here, it sinks). My baby severums (at 2-2.5 inches) are eating this kind of thing with relish.

Good luck and keep us posted.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Getting my new baby oscar to eat

Remove the floating plants or try 2mm size sinking pellets. Bright light above the aquarium will also make the floating plants hard to distinguish from floating food.

• Mcgold76
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Mcgold76 replied the topic: Getting my new baby oscar to eat

Not super concerned yet. Even though I have never owned cichlids I have a few years in the hobby. I do know when a fish is sickly. This Oscar is definitely not sick. Swimming all over the place. Acts kind of like my dwarf puffer. Interested in outside of the tank and what I am doing. He does know to come to the top of the tank when I open the lid. Just guess he is not hungry. My puffer went through a non eating phase and i just waited him out. Gonna give him a few more days and also give the store a call and see what he had been fed

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Getting my new baby oscar to eat

I wouldn't worry yet Oscars can go a while without eating. As you say just wait him out, make sure you remove uneaten food. Your set-up sounds pretty good so no problems there, they can be quite the drama queens. Welcome to OFL.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Getting my new baby oscar to eat

btw how big and how old is your O ?

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Getting my new baby oscar to eat

What kind of puffer do you have?

Prawns , shrimps, and live earthworms are like t-bone steaks to them :)

Also try turning the lights off when feeding.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds