NorthFin Foods

• DMD123
  • DMD123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 187

DMD123 created the topic: NorthFin Foods

Been a lot of talk about NorthFin fish foods due to the high quality ingredient list and the fact it is 'the forbidden fruit' so to speak, we just cant seem to get it here in the US. A recent email to www.canadian-aquatic-feed.com/?page_id=27 got me an interesting response I thought I would share. In asking for a sample or way to get the product without dropping a ton of money this is what I received:

Hello David,

Thank you for having interest in Northfin fish food. Yes, I know the situation and we are working on it to make Northfin easily available in the USA. Big Al's USA is out of stock but new Northfin shipment is on the way and should be available shortly. We are also setting up warehouse in Buffalo that will make easy for any retailers to get the product in the USA. Everything should be done and running in the next two weeks.
We do have free samples available but we are not aloud to ship over the border without FDA permit. When Buffalo warehouse are set up and running we will have samples available for USA hobbyist.
On the other hand we do have guaranty for our product and will gladly refund the money if the fish don't eat or there is something wrong. So you can be very confident when purchasing Northfin.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Darius Chodocinskas

Canadian Aquatic Feed Inc.
17 Canso Road Unit #16
Toronto, Ontario
M9W 4M1
Phone: 416-241-1010
e-mail: northfincanada@gmail.com
Web: www.northfincanada.com

So it looks like the product may be available to us soon!

Also very impressed that the email came in at 7:38 PM, which tells me someone works off the clock! ;) That is just plain awesome customer service!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: NorthFin Foods

Any US members itchy for some Northfin, pm me and I will mail you some. I go thru Petsandponds.com orders get to me 2 days. Cost to you would be product, shipping to me and of course forwarding to you.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 replied the topic: NorthFin Foods

Well I took a chance and ordered a bag of the NorthFin Tropical Sticks 250g for $15.04 with shipping at $11.16 Canada Post. So $26.20 to test the product was not that bad to me.

I decided to try these guys: angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=21

I went through the whole online process and it did allow me to put it in cart, pay and ship to the US. Will post if there were any issues with the order. The shipping was pretty reasonable when adding a couple more bags and raised it up by $5 or so but right now a floating food is the highest priority on my list so thats all Im trying for now. I still have tons of sinking pellets by Omega One and Dainichi to use up.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I wonder if some of the issues getting it here in the States has anything to do with the fact Kordon will be selling it in the US?

Kordon is calling it NATUR PRO™ Premium Fish Food but they are not showing a floating pellet.
Here is their line up of re-badged NorthFin: www.kordon.com/kordon/products/naturpro-plus-premium-fish-food

You can see that as a USA distributor they even list Kordon: www.canadian-aquatic-feed.com/?page_id=21

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: NorthFin Foods

Most likely plus the FDA issues.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Just thought I would post another email conversation:

To Darius at Northfin:
Couldn't wait, plus I did not see a floating pellet being offered by Kordon as the US distributor so I purchased a bag of tropical sticks from AngelFins online.

Will be a bit disappointed if they never get the floating and I have to continue to order it from Canada but I could still use the other foods offered for my other types of fish.

Thank you again for your quick response!

His response:
"Hello David,

We are bringing all Northfin products to Buffalo. Everything we make will be available under Northfin brand. "

Very interesting......

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Very impressed with AngelFins, my food came in today. I put in some of the sticks and the fish looked at me like 'whats this?', and then just looked at it. They have never been fed sticks and had no clue what to do with it. lol

I mixed in some regular pellets and then the pearsei started eating them. The Oscar kind of pecked at it a bit but no aggressive attacking of the food. Its new so Im giving them a chance to get used to it before making a judgement.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Day two of the new food had a bit better results. In my 210g community the Pearsei seems to look for them in the food mix and seems to enjoy them. The other fish still do not seem to touch them. Might be the fact that the shape is different or that it is bigger than most of the other foods in my mix. The Oscar took them with a bit of deception on my part. I broke some sticks in half so that they looked like a normal pellet and then put a few whole sticks in and he started eating.

Here are some thoughts on the food as of now:
The floating stick is pretty good sized, they call it a 3mm but I would describe that as the diameter of the stick and would place them at about 5-6mm in length. They are not a hard stick but kind of more puffed and seem to water log after a short time and will slowly sink. They all seem to float right off the bat and do take a while to start to sink.

The color is a bland beige which tells me no effort was made to add colorant to make it visually more appealing to the hobbyist. Good to see! We dont need color added!

A bit confusing when I opened the bag at first. No distinct smell. I wonder if this might be a reason the fish do not seem to have a real attraction to it. It just seems like nothing really pops out at you. The fish have really shown no preference for this food or even a natural attraction. But then the fish in my community dont know what to do with freeze dried krill which will float forever and they dont eat it. Once it gets water logged a bit they eventually eat it as it floats in the middle areas of the tank.

As of now I have added it to the mix of foods being fed to the community tank but again no real preference is shown toward it except for maybe the Pearsei. But if I were to throw the stick in by itself she kind of just looks at a while it floats for a long time and gets water logged. I think the mix of pellets causes a feeding reaction that then she will pick them out to eat. The Oscar will eat them but does not show the same attraction to them as he does the floating 4.5mm NLS which does have more of a smell to it.

As of day two with this food I see no need to make a full switch to it.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: NorthFin Foods

arent there round pellet versions? or are. they all in a stick form?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: NorthFin Foods

I sent an e-mail o this company asking for a free sample......no response at all...I will wait until it gets to the states & then maybe try it. Expensive stuff... :pinch:

" But then the fish in my community dont know what to do with freeze dried krill which will float forever and they dont eat it. "

Wow. My fish eat this stuff like candy, more-so when it's been marinated on Boyd's.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds