2 Juvenile Oscars in 65 Gallon since Monday not eating

• IrishDrummer
  • IrishDrummer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

IrishDrummer created the topic: 2 Juvenile Oscars in 65 Gallon since Monday not eating

Hello everyone! I'm brand new to the forum. I have had Oscars growing up and then haven't had them again until very recently. I recently moved and re-homed my community tank members and decided I wanted Oscars again. I set up the aquarium with cycled water & canister filter media and have good water parameters. PH 7.6+ zero ammonia and so on. I bought 2 juvenile tiger Oscars on Monday and they haven't eaten anything yet. They aren't interested in the omega one sinking cichlid pellets nor freeze dried blood worms or krill. They are behaving normal swimming around the tank together and they both seem to have good color. I bought them from Petsmart (not my first choice for fish) and the woman in the store told me they were eating pellets. Any ideas? Are they still getting acclimated to the tank? I know Juvenile Oscars need to eat but they don't seem interested right now. Should I try floating pellets? Maybe Hikari Gold? Or frozen blood worms? Any feedback & advice would be great. I want them to be great healthy fish. My filtration is a fluval 306 & 106 canister on a 65 Gallon. Thanks guys I'm looking forward to some advice. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 2 Juvenile Oscars in 65 Gallon since Monday not eating

Hello and welcome to the site. Its very common for Oscars to not eat upon landing in new surroundings. Keep offering what you have, they will eat when hungry enough. Now.. issue at hand.. your tank is not even close to large enough for 2 Oscars. If this is a standard 65 with a 3ft length, its really not a good tank for one. A single Oscar should have a 4ft 75g tank as a minimum. 2 Oscars need a 6ft 125g tank as a proper home. Unless you have a plan for a very soon larger tank, you should return 1 fish. 2 in your current tank will present all sorts of problems, starting with stress from overcrowding and the resulting health problems that will inevitably ensue. Oscars tanks also require heavy filtration, and you are lacking there as well.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• IrishDrummer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

IrishDrummer replied the topic: 2 Juvenile Oscars in 65 Gallon since Monday not eating

Thanks for the feedback. What filtration upgrade to you recommend from my 2 canister filters I am currently running? (1) Fluval 306 & (1) Fluval 106. I am planning on a larger tank very soon as well 125 or bigger if room allows.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: 2 Juvenile Oscars in 65 Gallon since Monday not eating

Welcome.

I was going to make a post stating pretty much exactly what Suprd said, but he beat me to it! :lol:

As Suprd said, it's common for new O's not to eat. A fish not eating can be caused by lots of things - acclimating to new surroundings, water quality issues, stress due to tank-mates, illness, etc. I know you said your water parameters are good, but it would be good to know the actual test results. What type of test kit did you use?

In the mean time, take a look at this thread as well: www.oscarfishlover.com/forum/68-non-emergency-health-questions/305102-red-devil-not-eating I had a similar problem with a young RD I brought home. The advice Darth gave me worked a treat in getting him to eat.

For what it's worth, oscars grow very quickly and produce a lot of waste, and also need a lot of space for territorial reasons. Keeping both in there will lead to severe health problems as they grow, either through deteriorating water quality or aggression. This lack of space (even though they are still juveniles) may be contributing to why you are having trouble getting them to eat now.

Re: Filtration; The bigger the better. For 2 O's in a 6ft 125 gal I'd be wanting to use at least 1 Fluval Fx5 (or equivalent) coupled with something else - either a secondary canister or a good HOB.

If you are planning on getting a 125 you do need to do it asap. The longer you leave them in their current tank the more likely they will be to get health problems from it. Juvenile oscars produce a lot more waste than what would be proportionate for their size.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: 2 Juvenile Oscars in 65 Gallon since Monday not eating

Tank upgrade is very good, and much needed. You will have to run your existing filters on the new tank while new filters establish with their own bacteria colony. Final filtration on a 125 or larger tank should be a large canister and hob combo. A Fluval FX6 and Aquaclear 110 would service a large tank quite well. Adding the Aquaclear to your 65 right away will give a bit of a jump start on seeding it.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: 2 Juvenile Oscars in 65 Gallon since Monday not eating

We'd love to see some pics of the little guys. Do you know how to post a photo to the forum?

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: 2 Juvenile Oscars in 65 Gallon since Monday not eating

Big +1 to what everyone has said.

For what it's worth, my Oscars like floating pellets as opposed to sinking.

Now mine are bigger than yours, but I don't recall if they ate blood worms.

They will eat earth worms, mushed raw shrimp, crickets, and of course thier floating pellets.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: 2 Juvenile Oscars in 65 Gallon since Monday not eating

Good that you are going to upgrade....but the time for that is now. I would more than strongly recommend you re-home/return one Oscar....2 Oscars are not going to work in a 65GL.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• IrishDrummer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

IrishDrummer replied the topic: 2 Juvenile Oscars in 65 Gallon since Monday not eating

Ok everyone thank you for the feedback. I have re-homed one of my Oscars to a friend and upgraded my filtration. I was looking into the Aquaclear 100 for awhile and decided to get it. I have had it set up for 3 days now along with a fluval 306 canister & a fluval 106 canister. I will get a photo of the set up soon. Since my last post they have started eating frozen blood worms like little savages. The one I kept I will keep offering the Hikari Gold Pellets I bought when I bought the filter. So far he doesn't want them. Thanks guys.

• IrishDrummer
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Correction I bought the Aquaclear 110

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds