Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

I feed all my fish including the oscar when I had him the following. Nls float, omega one super color sinking small and medium, omega one shrimp, omega one kelp pellets and discs, hikari sinking pellets/discs and algae wafers.
I do have hikari gold and staple but I hardly use them I like the ingredients in nls and omega one better

Oh yeah Roma in lettuce, fd krill, and frozen blood worms, mysis shrimp and cichlid grow
Dory doesnt eat the nls float matter of fact doesnt really feed anything that floats

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan replied the topic: Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

I feed mine Hikari gold, cooked shrimp and night crawlers. He loves the night crawlers but it's winter so they aren't as plentiful. I tried every vegetable I can think of he hates everyone of them lol

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Re:Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

JBare wrote: I have NLS cichlid formula, but he won't eat it. It's not really about cost, I just know he'll eat the tetra. I occasionally try the NLS, it's what I feed my Africans

It takes persistence! NLS is a very hard, dense pellet and many fish do not take to it right away.

Oscars have to be one of the weirdest fish when it comes to food. My last Oscar I had about three years back was hooked on Hikari floating sticks and was so greedy that the other fish could not get any thing to eat. I broke the sticks up into small pellet sized pieces and he did not recognize the food so he would not eat it. lol, you should try that with the tetra sticks and see what your Oscar does...

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

DMD123 wrote: Oscars have to be one of the weirdest fish when it comes to food. My last Oscar I had about three years back was hooked on Hikari floating sticks and was so greedy that the other fish could not get any thing to eat. I broke the sticks up into small pellet sized pieces and he did not recognize the food so he would not eat it. lol, you should try that with the tetra sticks and see what your Oscar does...

Yes, anything smaller than a medium sized pellet will get passed over by my Os, which makes it easy to feed my severum (bloodworms, tiny pieces of raw fish, etc.).

In addition to the Omega One pellets I feed my Os (about 2-3 three times a week at most) I also feed Koi fruit and Veg pellets. I had to starve Poseidon for about 5 days before he would start accepting them, but now he eats them. Darth Vader (ofka-capone) also gets chick-peas, which are pellet sized, but Poseidon spits those out.

Everyone destroys the tilapia or raw shrimp or fd krill, which they get about 2 times a week. Variety is key.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Re:Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

Omega one, NLS, Hikari Bio Gold as a staple. Night crawlers, Boyd's soaked river shrimp, tilapia and peas (Oscar is the only one who eats peas) as treats. All the above are used to feed my Oscar, Red Festae, Carpintis and Silver Dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

I have some NLS left......can't wait until it's gone.. :pinch: ....NONE of my fish will eat it, except my TF barbs, & they ain't picky.......all my fish attack the JumboMin, except the Jag.....Beani LOVES it......also feed all my fish Omega One large cichlid staple.....my Jag won't touch any other pellet.....& yes. I have tried the "starvation" method.....O1 is great stuff.....fish get bulky on it.....all O1 foods are good in my book.....they all attack the O1 cichlid color pellet...all supplemented w/ copious feedings of FD krill marinated overnight in Boyd's VC & earthworms & lots o' giant mealworms, & my Oscar gets blueberry koi food, apple pieces, peas, etc. All about the variety..... B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

Hikari sinking and floating medium pellets.Tetra veggie pellets worms from a bait shop frozen shrimp and live crickets. Funny though sometimes they love crickets other times no interest at all. Ever tried to retrieve crickets from a fish tank??

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

Omega 1 Cichlid pellets, hikari gold, veggies like peas, freeze dried krill, fresh shrimp, Flukers canned grasshoppers and river shrimp, live grasshoppers in the summer(always been all of my oscars fav food), seachem nourish soaked into pellets or krill a couple times a week.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

I use a lot of variety, similar to others... But I would ask you the protein percentage of the Tetra. I ask because I use the Tetra Jumbo Carnivore sticks as a treat. Has 47% protein. Same as Hikari Massivore, mostly intended for carnivorous fish. Its like candy for them. Not a good staple for an Oscar imo. I believe a diet change would be a benefit

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• JBare
  • JBare's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Role Call: What pellet do you feed your oscar?

I ordered some hikari gold, like I mentioned I already have NLS, so I'll just start alternating and continuing to give him his fruits and veggies. Thanks everyone! !

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds