Food opinions

• LeafsFan
  • LeafsFan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15

LeafsFan created the topic: Food opinions

Hey everyone I am thinking on placing a small order online to get maybe one or two new foods food my oscar. Right now he eats mostly Hikari Gold Cichlid pellets, and a few times a week he gets sun dried krill and frozen shrimp and then the odd time an algae wafer. He loves night crawlers but I live in Canada and its winter so thats not really an option now. Does that diet seem alright or should I add a few more things in? If so I would appreciate peoples most recommended foods and the sites that you trust most with decent shipping costs to Canada.
Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Food opinions

When it comes to ingredient list NorthFin foods have it in spades. The floating tropical sticks are nice sized and can be broken up for smaller fish. You should be able to get it at Big Al's ca site. I had to get my NorthFin here due to shipping issues to the US: angelfins.ca/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=21_28242

I feed my fish Dainichi Color Supreme but have considered the switch over to their XL Pro pellet instead. And of course there is NLS that is also considered a high quality food. But since you are in Canada I highly recommend the NorthFin.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeafsFan

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Food opinions

Leaf, david is spot on go for whats easy to obtain. But read the ingredients. I dont want to start a food fight with this comment but here goes. I dont use hikari at all anymore except for the wafers its all the acara will eat.
Everyone get nls and omega one. I prefer whole ingredients over meal.
Also good idea to mix it up I use regular nls and omega one along with kelp pellets and algaemax. Nls can be touchy but im determined to get all fish on it as my argentea is being pucky at the moment

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

LeafsFan replied the topic: Re:Food opinions

Alright thanks and with ingredients what are the main things that I should look for? What's the most important to have in a good pellet?

Their really isnt an absolute answer and one of the more experienced members can elaborate I have mostly herbivores so I look for pellets with allot of plant matter and use nls as an over all staple. But for me I like whole ingredients instead of "meal" example would be omega one first ingreadiant I think is arctic krill not fish meal.

I fed my o when I had him a mix of nls and omega one kelp pellets variety is the key

DMD123 replied the topic: Re:Food opinions

LeafsFan wrote: Alright thanks and with ingredients what are the main things that I should look for? What's the most important to have in a good pellet?

Just make sure to watch out for animal proteins. Some cheaper foods will use Blood meal, chicken parts, feather meal, :sick:

If you look online there are some pretty extensive food reviews. Dont agree with all of them but you get a pretty good idea of what to look for. I will PM a link to you.

I would think you wont go wrong with nls, northfin, or omega one along with fd krill and some frozen bloodworms.

Rocksor broke down some good points on choosing foods but I have no idea where or what thread that was in

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

LeafsFan replied the topic: Re:Food opinions

I will pick up one or two or the brands mentioned and go from there. Not working right now I'm trying to keep things as cheap as possible for the time being. Once works comes up my Oscar will think he's a king lol

DMD123 replied the topic: Food opinions

I really do like the Northfin but for me the cost of the food once I figure shipping cost into the equation came out to like $3 an ounce. I always try to break down cost by ounce and add whatever shipping or tax there is to determine final price. A lot of people say how expensive NLS is but if bought online and in a bit larger containers many times it really is not that badly priced at all. If my food comes out cheaper that $1 per ounce, I feel I have done well.

Even the hard to get Dainichi pellets I really do not even pay that much for. You can set up an account and order direct from them: www.dainichidirect.com/

On of the cheapest pellets per ounce seems to be Xtreme from Kensfish. Ive used it in the past but it is a bit messy and the food powders up pretty easy in the container and seems much is wasted.

• LeafsFan
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

LeafsFan replied the topic: Food opinions

I done up a fake order on big als and with shipping for the northfin 250g bag of cichlid pellets it will be $27.53
I wouldn't place an over right away because it's Friday anyway and probably wouldn't ship until Monday so I'm doing some thinking and looking around. I'm considering some vitachem.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds