Oscar Fish is a SLOW Eater.

• Phillipw311
  • Phillipw311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Re:Oscar Fish is a SLOW Eater.

Also.... I absolutely hate to be that guy... But I have to ask a super newbie question.... haha I'd love to show you guys my tank and my little guy. For the life of me I have not been able to figure out how to post pictures... Is it possible to post a picture on a thread?? If so somebody PLEASE do share how I can do so. Ha!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Oscar Fish is a SLOW Eater.

To post a picture to the forum using a pc or tablet:

1) goto photobucket.com
2) open a free account and login
3) upload your picture(s) to photobucket and copy the direct link
4) paste the direct link into your message here

You can goto photobucket by clicking here.

You can also use the tapatalk app on your smartphone to upload pictures to the forum.

To upload a video, upload the video to YouTube and then copy & paste the link into your message.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phillipw311

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Oscar Fish is a SLOW Eater.

Okay awesome! I will post some pics on this thread within the next few hours hopefully. If I don't have time I will try to get a few for you guys tomorrow. I went to my LFS today and got some smaller cichlid pellets. That was the problem pertaining to his slow eating.. The pellets were too large for him. He scarfed down the ones I bought. They're more like beta fish sized pellets so they're really little. You guys would also be proud to know I finally got around to buying the API Master Test Kit today!!!! Yeah I was, again, doing it all wrong... Haha that thing is dead on accurate. Here's where I stand right now and I need advice with this issue to correct it as well... Okay here's where I stand. pH-7.2, Ammonia-0.25ppm, Nitrite-0ppm, & Nitrate-0ppm. Now, keep in mind that I just performed a 75% water change and the only fish in there is my baby Oscar that is around 2.5-3". How is it possible to have 0 nitrate and nitrite but yet still have a very small amount of ammonia?? How do I correct this problem and is it harming my fish right now? Or should I just keep an eye on it. I am not a chemist nor do I understand it when it gets real in depth. WAY over my head.. Haha but I don't understand how nitrate & nitrite stand at 0ppm but yet I still have a very small amount of ammonia. I am kind of worried, but I don't know if I should take action and change a % of the water again just yet or not.

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

My baby O is acting fine. Swimming around as he normally would, but the water stains yellow again within 24 hours of a change due to tannins being released form the driftwood. But again, he's acting happy. He isn't like laying on the bottom and acting sick that's why I'm not sure what I should do just yet. Thanks for the help guys. I wouldn't have been where I am at now if it wasn't for you all!!!

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Here's my tank. You guys be sure to let me know if you can view it and I did it right. I think I did. If I posted it properly I will post the other two photos here after confirmation! This is just a view of my tank itself. I hand built the stand by myself from scratch! Let me know what you guys think if I did it right! Here's hoping... Ha!

i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww229/Phillipw311/image1_zpspu1e8aij.jpg

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Oscar Fish is a SLOW Eater.

Why don't you remove driftwood and soak it in a bath or tub until tannins stop leeching. Change water every few days until water is clear then put wood back into tank.

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Re:Oscar Fish is a SLOW Eater.

I soaked it for about a week in a bucket and changed the water in it daily and it got to where it didn't dilute the water clarity as badly at all so I figured in a 55 gallon it wouldn't even be noticeable. I obviously thought wrong... -__- haha but I'm really not that worried about it as long as my pH sounds acceptable to you all as I know it will stop leeching over time. I was really just concerned about the ammonia and if I should be worried about it. But I thought I would mention the driftwood since that's about the only thing that might play a role in my water conditions. Please let me know about where I stand on my test outcome and let me know if the picture link was posted properly! Thanks everybody!

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Oscar Fish is a SLOW Eater.

I added the tags so the picture will show below.

My kit reads .25 for ammonia on everything ... even distilled water. So that could be the reason you're getting that reading. Use the ammonia test on a bottle of distilled water and see if you get the same.

It's possible that your tank isn't cycled, but that's unlikely based on what you've said. Can you tell us what you're using for filtration?

Another possibility is that your oscar isn't creating enough of a bioload to register given the amount of water you're changing.

But the most likely case, especially with a new kit, is that you're not shaking the nitrate solution #2 enough for long enough. It has sticky zinc particles that cling together and are difficult to get mixed with the rest of the solution. The instructions say to shake the solution vigorously. At OFL, we like to say, 'Shake it like it owes you money.' Try for a good 2 minutes. Then you have to shake the test tube for at least one minute after adding 10 drops. Wait five minutes and read.

I used to get low readings on my nitrate kit.

It sounds like the driftwood still has a lot of tannins. I've heard that boiling it helps to release a lot. It shouldn't be a problem as long as you keep up with water changes. Otherwise, too much could cause a crash in pH.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phillipw311

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

How did you do that to the picture?!? I wanted it to do that but I couldn't figure it out... And yeah sure! I have just a traditional HOB Aqueon "quietflow" filter for up to 50 gallons which is by no means whatsoever quiet... lol I then decided to buy a canister filter. I chose the Fluval 306 canister and I leave the flow regulation valve all of the way down so that it pulls and returns wide open water flow without restriction. I keep it wide open so that it will filter the maximum amount of water possible per hour. I know the HOB turns the tank at least once and running wide open my Fluval 306 is rated to filter 260 gallons per hour. So all together in my aquarium, roughly 310 gallons get filtered hourly. I love the canister. Well worth the money and you cannot even hear it running. It's awesome! For one Oscar, even when he's fully grown, shouldn't I have plenty of filtration to suffice between water changes?

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds