Oscar Fish is a SLOW Eater.

• Phillipw311
  • Phillipw311's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Phillipw311 replied the topic: Oscar Fish is a SLOW Eater.

Oh cool!!! Never mind on the picture part I obviously figured it out!!! haha There's my little guy!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Oscar Fish is a SLOW Eater.

You have to put in the bbcode img tags like in the picture. Then it'll show.

That's definitely sufficient filtration for your tank with a small oscar. I asked because I wanted to make sure you didn't have a filter with maybe one filter pad. Changing the only filter pad you have could have reset your cycle. But, that's not the case. After seeing the picture, I think he's too small and your changing a lot of water, so the nitrate is showing zero. The same thing happens to me with betta tanks. I'd retest after a couple days and you should get a nitrate reading.

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Yeah I was trying to tell everybody he's a literal baby! haha words can only say so much though... I am glad you saw my baby O and have a better idea of just how little he still is. So, with that being said I got the python water changer and changed roughly 75% of the water last Wednesday. So, do I pretend I never read that till he gets older...? haha How much should I realistically change per week? You now see just how small he is and he is in the big ole 55 gallon all by himself. Would you say like 15-20% once or twice weekly or like 30% once weekly? Whatever your replied percentage is for his current size, when will I have to do hardcore water changes like 75% weekly or 50% twice weekly?? Once he hits like 8"+?

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

I don't know if I am misunderstanding you and should continue doing 75% weekly but for that tiny little fish that just seemed unrealistic... I don't say that to be insulting please don't take it that way. I just didn't see the ends justifying the means. I couldn't figure how a fish that small could promote that much of a water change per week. That's why I was skeptical it'd harm more than help since he is so little still.

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

By the way, a side note for you. I have another question because you've been more than helpful with me so far.. And I really appreciate it. So, I did a 75% water change 4 days ago. Yesterday I noticed a VERY faint smell... Today its gotten bad... Haha I truthfully don't even really know how to describe it. Its got that fishy smell to it but it's very stout. Like as in you notice it immediately when you walk into the room. You get used to it but its kinda nasty to be honest... haha. I am obviously running carbon filters, but I haven't yet changed any of them since I am only just now completing week 3 with my baby O. I have always done carbon replacements once a month and I know those help neutralize odors.. But does it stink so bad due to the tank cycling? I feel like I remember having this issue a month after my previous tanks cycled but they've always been smaller so I didn't really do anything special to cure it. But I don't remember a significant odor after that previously, Any thoughts on why it smells like a live well on a boat or a minnow bucket?!

No, I don't think you'll need to do large water changes like that now (75%). When he get's bigger, yes, but for now I'd guess about 30-50% a week or whatever your nitrate test says you need to keep it under 10 - 20ppm. (10ppm and 20ppm are the same color on the chart, btw. So are 40ppm and 80ppm.)

He looks great ... stripes everywhere.

• Phillipw311
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Thank you very much!!! I'm more than anxious to see how he looks as he matures. I don't think he'll even look like the same fish. He looks awesome to me now when he shows his colors but I feel like he'll be more solid orange or black with a few fat stripes when he gets big. I wish his body would grow and his stripe pattern would remain as it is while he's a juvenile.. But as far as I know I don't think he'll maintain that exact pattern and have as many stripes with age.. I don't know though. I don't know a whole lot about the species as this is my first ever Tiger Oscar to own. I guess I'll learn on the long road ahead!

I'm not really sure. It could be from the cycling. If you put your nose to the water it should smell like wet dirt or maybe wet wood.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds