Tips on catfish feeding

• Jauch21
  • Jauch21's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 11

Jauch21 created the topic: Tips on catfish feeding

Hope this is the right section for this. Anyone have experience with catfish? specifically suncats? Everything that goes into the tank is immediately eaten by tinfoil barbs. I never see food left over. So what does the catfish eat? Any suggestions on making sure the catfish gets his share? Possibly feeding in the dark? Or maybe i'm feeding too little since everythings eaten immediately

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Tips on catfish feeding

Despite its name, it is a nocturnal catfish, so like you are suggesting yourself, night time feeding would be best when the tinfoils are in "off" mode. They like to hide during the day so would not likely come out to feed. Keeping catfish is always a challenge and you have to give them special consideration, different from your other fish.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Tips on catfish feeding

Tfb and sd's are larger dithers feed the cats at night after lights out. Or try opposite sides of the tank. Feed floating pellets to the tfb and sinking for the cats. Put the sinking pellets in a cup.full of tank water while the tfb are feeding on one side of the tank quickly pour the water/pellets in the other side. The water will help the pellets fall quicker

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Jauch21 replied the topic: Re:Tips on catfish feeding

I've tried opposite sides of tank. Barbs are so fast lol. I'll try the cup of water idea and night time feeding. Thanks for the advice. He's a chubby fish so he's eating something

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Tips on catfish feeding

I had a similar problem with oscars, silver dollars, and striped raphael catfish. Feeding at night seem to be the best option, especially if the fish is a diurnal species. Also, try feeding alternative prey items that barbs do not feed. From www.seriouslyfish.com/species/horabagrus-brachysoma/ , try small fishes and chopped fish, depending on the size of the barb. Also, feed near the hiding area.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Tips on catfish feeding

I dont recommend feeding live fish to your cat. Soak the pellets before dumping the water/pellet mix in they will sink faster.

I had the same issues with my dithers. Tiger silver dollars...at like lawn mowers. Had to rehome them.

• Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Tips on catfish feeding

I had an identical problem when I owned my Oscar and striped raphael. My sneaky oscar would even nab the pellets at night in near darkness. I found the easiest way for me was to simply hand feed him by holding the food at the entrance to his hideout. He always nipped the ends of my fingers which tickled lol. I don't know how big a suncat gets or if they have teeth so this may or may not work for you.

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Jauch21 replied the topic: Tips on catfish feeding

My suncat is about 10". No teeth...that i know of. He's skiddish though. I don't see him eating out of my hand. I've been feeding at night and it's working.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Tips on catfish feeding

How old is your catfish and what do you feed it?

• Jauch21
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Jauch21 replied the topic: Tips on catfish feeding

I'm not really sure how old he is. I bought him grown. The guy who sold it said it just got too big for his tank. I havent had him long. So far he has eaten Massivore pellets and beef heart

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds