Feeding time

• JimmyNeutron570
  • JimmyNeutron570's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

JimmyNeutron570 created the topic: Feeding time

Recently I've found myself really enjoying watching my Oscar eat, but he is only a baby still. He's 2 1/2 inches. I read in the feeding section that you should feed a baby Oscar multiple times a day and feed them until the belly is slightly rounded. The problem that ( I think ) I may have is that my Oscar gets bored of his food after 1 pellet. I've tried putting more in but he shows no interest at all. I'm feeding him Tetra JumboMin LARGE Floating Stick. I break them in half and he eats the whole pellet. By the piece. But after 1 pellet he doesn't want to eat anymore. I work everyday except weekends and I feed him 2 times a day. One at 6:30Am and again at 7:00PM. In the morning and afternoon he's very excited for food, he swims at the top of the tank pacing back and forth very quickly. Once he gets a pellet he goes to about mid-level of the tank and eats one half of the pellet then goes back up to the top for the other half and has no interest in getting anymore food. He's been on this food ever since I got him. I'm not sure how often the store fed him or what they fed him. I tried flakes but he doesn't even entertain the thought of them. Is there any way I can increase his appetite? He's growing fairily slow.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Feeding time

Our article on feeding Oscars is just information in general, obviously everybody may Have different experiences with their fish. With your baby Oscar, I should just drop in a couple of pellets, wait until he's completely eaten them, if he comes for more than give him a couple more. I wouldn't use of 2 to 3 min as an absolute time limit, just feed them until you feel they've had enough. You are not going to hurt your fish, it will stop eating when it doesn't want any more.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Feeding time

You won't get the oscar to eat more than what you are feeding due to the size of the pellet. That's a bit more than 4.5mm in diameter.

• JimmyNeutron570
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

JimmyNeutron570 replied the topic: Feeding time

Alright, should I downgrade to a smaller pellet or try cutting them in half? Or just keep feeding him on his same routine?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Feeding time

I think it would be obvious if what you are feeding your Oscar is too big for him to handle. Obviously you don't want to be feeding the very large pellets to a very small baby, that's not really sensible. Just drop two or three pellets in, let him deal with them and then put a couple more in when he's finished. If you do this three times a day then he will get the food he needs.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: JimmyNeutron570

• JimmyNeutron570
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I was just reading one of the other topics, I saw that oscars under 4" should be fed small pellets. I may start changing up his diet a little such as adding peas every so often, so he isn't on pellets constantly. If I begin feeding him like this would it be a lot more beneficial to his digestive system and immune system? Also, when I feed him peas should they be frozen or thawed?

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Feeding time

I may start changing up his diet a little such as adding peas every so often, so he isn't on pellets constantly. If I begin feeding him like this would it be a lot more beneficial to his digestive system and immune system?

yes fruits and vegetables are very good for oscars and in my opinion should be a good portion of a oscars diet

Also, when I feed him peas should they be frozen or thawed?

thawed and you can also try little pieces of fruits like oranges and apples and see if he will take them

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Feeding time

this is feeding time for me in my community tank...
every morning only... mixed of frozen shrimp and frozen silverside
or frozen shrimp and frozen pork kidney... or tilapia pellets...

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Feeding time

or you may want to do it this way.. spread the food elsewhere..

• JimmyNeutron570
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I tried peas today and he went nuts! He kept come ng back for more. I gave him 3 peas this morning. Should I try little pieces of oranges and apples or should I wait till tomorrow. I think he was bored of the pellets.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.118 seconds