Oscars eating mammalian meat???

• turtle lover
  • turtle lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

turtle lover created the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

I know this is a controversial topic for captive oscars, but how about in wild oscars? Do you guys think that wild oscars will eat mammals and birds and if so, do you think it will benefit or harm them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

i believe any fish in the wild will take anything edible for them...
the benefit is... fish will hav full tummy while mammalian meat will last

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

Studies have been done, and no mammalian meat has been found in the guts of oscars. When mammalian meat hits the water in rivers of South America, other fish are the first to be there like piranhas and catfish.

www.uakari.org.br/index.php/UAKARI/article/viewFile/109/170

FEEDING ECOLOGY AND MORPHOMETRY OF THE DIGESTIVE TRACT OF Astronotus ocellatus
(CICHLIDAE) IN VÁRZEA ENVIRONMENTS OF THE MIDDLE SOLIMÕES REGION,
CENTRAL AMAZON, BRAZIL.
authors
Márcia Emília de Jesus Trindade
Helder Lima de Queiroz

With a constant predominance of insects, complemented by fish, mollusks or crustaceans during the different periods of the cycle (Figure 1), the characterization of the species as carnivorous, with an insectivorous-piscivorous tendency was once again confirmed."

See page 50 for full table above.

www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/gallery/descript/oscar/oscar.html

Mammalian meat will cause fatty liver disease, which in turn will cause a shortened life span for oscars, sort of like heart attacks at the age of 40 for people.

Why feed mammal meat when they are made to digest insects and fish? You can easily obtain earthworms and fish fillets for them to feed on. Anyone who uses mammal meat (hearts, livers, etc.) to feed oscars is just being lazy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bskelton0907, Poseidon2.0

wow... that is a long read Rock...

i had keep oscar and tilapia in the same tank and feed differently for the purpose... pellets , crickets, and chopped frozen pork kidney... i throw them all in the tank... oscar race and consume pork kidney and allow cricket and pellets to rot... i did the same procedure with chopped frozen herring fish instead of pork kidney... the frozen herring were consumed just the same leaving other foods to rot

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

Rocksor wrote: Studies have been done, and no mammalian meat has been found in the guts of oscars. When mammalian meat hits the water in rivers of South America, other fish are the first to be there like piranhas and catfish.

CENTRAL AMAZON, BRAZIL.
authors
Helder Lima de Queiroz

With a constant predominance of insects, complemented by fish, mollusks or crustaceans during the different periods of the cycle (Figure 1), the characterization of the species as carnivorous, with an insectivorous-piscivorous tendency was once again confirmed."

Mammalian meat will cause fatty liver disease, which in turn will cause a shortened life span for oscars, sort of like heart attacks at the age of 40 for people.

Why feed mammal meat when they are made to digest insects and fish? You can easily obtain earthworms and fish fillets for them to feed on. Anyone who uses mammal meat (hearts, livers, etc.) to feed oscars is just being lazy.

I would totally agree. Anyway, I doubt very much whether an Oscar would be able to eat a mouse, or a lizard, I really don't think that they are made to eat things like this. Over the years, I have observed my Oscars trying to eat their tank mates and even though they managed to eat the small species of community fish, they normally struggle with anything over four or 5 inches.

And rock is also correct, Piranha are extremely prolific in all parts of the Amazon And will almost be 1st on the scene to clear up any dead or dying creatures before anyone else gets the chance.. However, I would suggest that Oscars are not nearly as prolific as you may think. I've been watching programmes like a river monsters, and other fishing programmes from the Amazon for years and I've never ever seen anyone catch an Oscar.Also, there have been various expeditions to the Amazon looking at fish and again, I've never seen an Oscar.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

but there are also so many post that oscar were caught in hook line... unless they were hoax LOL!

in the amazon where there are plenty of food choices, perhaps oscar can refuse meaty foods but in some parts of the world where food maybe less... who knows...

Unlike piranhas, oscars do not have the teeth to tear into pieces of avian or mammalian flesh (they can only grasp and swallow). There's also no need for them to do so since they have already found their ecological niche.

The amazon does go through dry periods, and they still don't resort to avian or mammalian flesh. They start to look at other things like fruits or other smaller fish (tetras die by the hundreds to thousands as the dry season comes) Why would they want to hang out close to a school of piranhas decimating a deer/bird/cow, and put themselves at risk of getting hurt in the feeding frenzy.

that would be a more logical reasoning Rock... Thank you!

in my community tank, they can break their pectoral fins in queuing for foods LOL!

• turtle lover
  • turtle lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

OFL wrote:

Rocksor wrote: Studies have been done, and no mammalian meat has been found in the guts of oscars. When mammalian meat hits the water in rivers of South America, other fish are the first to be there like piranhas and catfish.

CENTRAL AMAZON, BRAZIL.
authors
Helder Lima de Queiroz

I would totally agree. Anyway, I doubt very much whether an Oscar would be able to eat a mouse, or a lizard, I really don't think that they are made to eat things like this. Over the years, I have observed my Oscars trying to eat their tank mates and even though they managed to eat the small species of community fish, they normally struggle with anything over four or 5 inches.

And rock is also correct, Piranha are extremely prolific in all parts of the Amazon And will almost be 1st on the scene to clear up any dead or dying creatures before anyone else gets the chance.. However, I would suggest that Oscars are not nearly as prolific as you may think. I've been watching programmes like a river monsters, and other fishing programmes from the Amazon for years and I've never ever seen anyone catch an Oscar.Also, there have been various expeditions to the Amazon looking at fish and again, I've never seen an Oscar.

Actually, a lizard is a possibility. Basilisks and iguanas live near water and a baby of one those lizards could be a rare treat, couldn't it be?

If there are piranhas, pacu, bass, and dorados (much larger fish) in the water, count on them getting to the basilisk first. They can shred meat. The oscar would have to be able to swallow it whole. Their mouths may be huge, but their throats are considerably smaller.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds