Oscars eating mammalian meat???

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

I'm sure an Oscar could deal with a fairly small critter, maybe a small frog or a lizard, but the skeleton is probably going to be a lot more tougher than what you would find in a small fish, therefore I don't think they would find it very easy to mince up something properly in order to swallow it. We've all seen photos people have posted of fish that have got stuck in an Oscars mouth after they have tried to eat something that is far too big.

I think catfish are a prime example of a fish that can swallow huge fish completely whole without chewing them up, but we all know how big they get

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

ok, i just want to make it clear ... i am not promoting the use of mammalian meat, but my 7 years old tiger used to have frozen pork kidney as part of their diet... and he is still the biggest in the group.. and all my fish at the signature have the same diet with the rest..

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

I think it's rather like all the advertising that tells us that smoking, drinking, eating unhealthy food is bad for you, however so that however itonly a small minority will actually become ill because they do happen to have these vices. It is very much the same with fish, I very much doubt whether many fish would actually show any ill effects from having meat as part of their diet, having said that, it is our job to educate people on what is the healthiest food they should be feeding their fish and what foods you should avoid, whether they have a minimal risk or not.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

that is one good analogy Penn...

what i think in the wild, fish could swim endlessly thus have time to burn the stored fats in the body
while in the tanks, they don't.... plus in my place, we are in the tropics and our temp is playing in between
27 to 33 deg C, thus it enhance metabolism of the fish... water change can help keep the fish
healthy... while in european counter parts, you need to have heater to cope with cooler temp...
formulated fish foods normally has controlled amount of fats since it will be difficult
to burn those fats in the colder water zone resulting more trouble for the fish keeper.

and lastly, thought i give my fish mammalian meat, it is always in the rotational mode..

• turtle lover
  • turtle lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

OFL wrote: I'm sure an Oscar could deal with a fairly small critter, maybe a small frog or a lizard, but the skeleton is probably going to be a lot more tougher than what you would find in a small fish, therefore I don't think they would find it very easy to mince up something properly in order to swallow it. We've all seen photos people have posted of fish that have got stuck in an Oscars mouth after they have tried to eat something that is far too big.

I think catfish are a prime example of a fish that can swallow huge fish completely whole without chewing them up, but we all know how big they get

Actually I think frogs are definitely part of the diet of the oscar in the form of tadpoles and very small frog species that are the same size as dart frogs. Note: Not dart frogs themselves.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Oscars eating mammalian meat???

The link to the study on wild oscar's gut content has a detailed listing of what they eat in the wild. There wasn't a mention of amphibians found in their stomachs as part of the year long study, which means they preferred other food to tadpoles.

• turtle lover
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Rocksor wrote: The link to the study on wild oscar's gut content has a detailed listing of what they eat in the wild. There wasn't a mention of amphibians found in their stomachs as part of the year long study, which means they preferred other food to tadpoles.

The link i check has the word anura which are frogs in the table. I am still though dissecting it at the moment though.

• turtle lover
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Rocksor wrote: Studies have been done, and no mammalian meat has been found in the guts of oscars. When mammalian meat hits the water in rivers of South America, other fish are the first to be there like piranhas and catfish.

www.uakari.org.br/index.php/UAKARI/article/viewFile/109/170

FEEDING ECOLOGY AND MORPHOMETRY OF THE DIGESTIVE TRACT OF Astronotus ocellatus
(CICHLIDAE) IN VÁRZEA ENVIRONMENTS OF THE MIDDLE SOLIMÕES REGION,
CENTRAL AMAZON, BRAZIL.
authors
Márcia Emília de Jesus Trindade
Helder Lima de Queiroz

With a constant predominance of insects, complemented by fish, mollusks or crustaceans during the different periods of the cycle (Figure 1), the characterization of the species as carnivorous, with an insectivorous-piscivorous tendency was once again confirmed."

See page 50 for full table above.

www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/gallery/descript/oscar/oscar.html

Mammalian meat will cause fatty liver disease, which in turn will cause a shortened life span for oscars, sort of like heart attacks at the age of 40 for people.

Why feed mammal meat when they are made to digest insects and fish? You can easily obtain earthworms and fish fillets for them to feed on. Anyone who uses mammal meat (hearts, livers, etc.) to feed oscars is just being lazy.

I actually do not get one thing: The definition of FO%, FV, and Iai.

• turtle lover
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

sorry if I have to revive this post but I was told that oscars can get their mammalian intake from ,yeah I am not crazy, waste of meat factories near the river. Do you think it is possible?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.097 seconds