Repashy Soilent Green

• adnanyastronot
  • adnanyastronot's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

adnanyastronot replied the topic: Repashy Soilent Green

Suprd71 wrote: Also try some fruit pieces and raw veg bits. Freeze dried krill also quite popular.

Definitely these are good food variety for Oscars to provide more useful nutrients. My fish already tried some peas, but need time to get use to with it lol. Thank you for the suggestions @Suprd71!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• adnanyastronot
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

turtle lover wrote: You can also try small fish pieces like mackerel just for variety. I also read squid and other seafood can be given to oscar for treats.

Oh, fish fillet, that's also good to provide useful nutrients to our Oscars fish. Somewhere I read that salt water fish fillets aren't good as a food for Oscars and other type of cichlids, so obviously you have rich experience with Oscars, have you heard anything about that, is that true?

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Repashy Soilent Green

Peas dont have much nutritional value, more useful as a laxative for constipation. Try some green pepper, high VitC content. For fish fillets I use Tilapia, very cheap from the grocery store. Raw shrimp(not Tiger prawns) also good, although a bit pricey for fish food. You should also get some Boyd's VitaChem, a liquid vitamin. Absorbs very well into FD foods, gives Oscar the vitamin boost that does wonders for them.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!
The following user(s) said Thank You: adnanyastronot

• adnanyastronot
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Suprd71 wrote: Peas dont have much nutritional value, more useful as a laxative for constipation. Try some green pepper, high VitC content. For fish fillets I use Tilapia, very cheap from the grocery store. Raw shrimp(not Tiger prawns) also good, although a bit pricey for fish food. You should also get some Boyd's VitaChem, a liquid vitamin. Absorbs very well into FD foods, gives Oscar the vitamin boost that does wonders for them.

That's useful info, appreciate!

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Repashy Soilent Green

adnanyastronot wrote:

turtle lover wrote: You can also try small fish pieces like mackerel just for variety. I also read squid and other seafood can be given to oscar for treats.

Oh, fish fillet, that's also good to provide useful nutrients to our Oscars fish. Somewhere I read that salt water fish fillets aren't good as a food for Oscars and other type of cichlids, so obviously you have rich experience with Oscars, have you heard anything about that, is that true?

I have not read bout that. I however have read bout problems of fishes with turtles. I do not know if this is related, but there is an enzyme called thiaminase. It causes a zombie-like effect in reptiles. I do not know if it happens to fishes. Anyhow going back tot he topic, I have fed my oscars mackerel, goatfishes, anchovies, and flounder. However, sea fishes can get mercury from pollution of people, but freshwater fishes can also be a threat, though less than feeders, if improperly prepared, because of parasites.
The following user(s) said Thank You: adnanyastronot

• adnanyastronot
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

turtle lover wrote:

adnanyastronot wrote:

I have not read bout that. I however have read bout problems of fishes with turtles. I do not know if this is related, but there is an enzyme called thiaminase. It causes a zombie-like effect in reptiles. I do not know if it happens to fishes. Anyhow going back tot he topic, I have fed my oscars mackerel, goatfishes, anchovies, and flounder. However, sea fishes can get mercury from pollution of people, but freshwater fishes can also be a threat, though less than feeders, if improperly prepared, because of parasites.

Thank you, @turtle lover, that you are trying to clarify that. Probably I'll avoid feeding my oscars with salt fish fillet and to provide fresh fish fillet but seldom.
Guys, I found very valuable answers here, really appreciate!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.068 seconds