New Baby O

• annamarie92
  • annamarie92's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

annamarie92 created the topic: New Baby O

Hi all! I've been reading a lot on this forum and have found a lot of helpful information. I know a lot of people have posted about getting their baby o to eat, but I can't find anything that relates to my situation. He's about 2.5 inches. When I first brought him home about a week ago, he ate well after the first day. No interest in pellets but he's ate mysis shrimp, pieces of shrimp, small pieces of silversides, and the occasional bloodworm. Well the past couple of days I have been trying to get him on pellets. He has ate a few randomly but usually will spit them out. I've tried 4 different brands/types. Now he's started hiding from me and won't come to the surface when I'm there anymore. He would readily eat from my hand before but all of a sudden it's like he's terrified of me. There has been no change in the tank or room. Water parameters are as follows: Am- 0 Ni- 0 Na-10 ph-7.6 and temp at about 78. The only other tank mate is a 4 inch Lima shovelnose that sleeps most of the day and is active at night. It's a 120gallon tank. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? Or any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: New Baby O

Welcome to our community . I have been in your situation with baby Oscars, it can be very frustrating when they suddenly decide they don't want to eat. I think it will just be a case of giving your Oscar time to settle in. Trying reverting back to what you you were feeding before, it was good quality food in itself so don't worry. The Oscar is obviously healthy, I'm quite sure that he will eat when he is hungry. I'm always quite surprised when people have these problems with their baby Oscars, of all the babies I've ever had, they were always very very keen on food and I didn't have any problems with them not wanting to eat.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• annamarie92
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

annamarie92 replied the topic: Re:New Baby O

Thanks for the advice. He definitely wants to eat, he will pick things off the bottom (he especially tries to steal the Limas food) but it's just like he's afraid of me.
But that's what I was thinking, just give him time. I've never had an Oscar, so I'm not quite used to the moodiness lol. He will swim all around the tank but as soon as I walk in the room he will go and hide. It's just crazy that 2 days ago he would eat right out of my hand and now he won't since I've switched to pellets. I will take your advice and go back to the frozen foods and see how he does. I just wanted to get him on a pellet as his main diet, but I may have to wait for that.

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: Re:New Baby O

welcome to this crazy world of baby oscar... and once you baby start to eat..
it will always beg for food... and you will kinda say... it is always "HUNGRY" LOL!

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: New Baby O

Just wondering what type of pellets did u feed? Floating or sinking?

• annamarie92
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

I've tried both floating and sinking. In about 5 different brands lol Hikari gold, Omega one, Elive, and NLS. He has eaten a few carnisticks. He'll put the pellet in his mouth and then spit it out.
But good news, today he's back to his old self. Eating from my hand and excited to see me now that I've given him frozen type foods. He's already spoiled lol

• annamarie92
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

DRACO wrote: welcome to this crazy world of baby oscar... and once you baby start to eat..
it will always beg for food... and you will kinda say... it is always "HUNGRY" LOL!

Lol that's what I've heard!! I'm excited for that day to come!!

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: New Baby O

Weirdly, I have a turtle that refuses flakes and goldfish pellets, but loves larger pellets. It makes me wonder if you try flakes.

• annamarie92
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Good news! He's eating pellets like a little pig!! I think some competition from the baby albino Oscar in the tank sparked his interest lol thanks for all the advice everyone!!

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:New Baby O

Good news indeed. They are certainly little pigs, and once settled in will generally eat as much as you offer. Careful not to overfeed, dont succumb to the Oscar "feed me" dance. Give the fish time to digest, process its meals and make certain they are producing waste.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.151 seconds