New Baby O

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: New Baby O

Does ur lima catfish eats pellets?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• annamarie92
  • annamarie92's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

annamarie92 replied the topic: Re:New Baby O

Suprd71 wrote: Good news indeed. They are certainly little pigs, and once settled in will generally eat as much as you offer. Careful not to overfeed, dont succumb to the Oscar "feed me" dance. Give the fish time to digest, process its meals and make certain they are producing waste.

Thank you for the advice! I have been feeding 2 - 3 times a day, small portions each time. How much am I supposed to feed them? I have been feeding until their stomach gets a little rounded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• annamarie92
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

turtle lover wrote: Does ur lima catfish eats pellets?

The Lima will not eat pellets yet. I've been trying to get her on them but it has been tough. Apparently the Limas are very hard to get off live food, but I've managed to do that. She will eat frozen foods now like shrimp and silversides. I have been stuffing pellets into the piece of shrimp or silversides that she eats but no luck with just pellets yet. She's starting to take interest in the massivore pellets now, she will nudge them with her nose. So hopefully soon she will be!

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:New Baby O

annamarie92 wrote:

Suprd71 wrote: Good news indeed. They are certainly little pigs, and once settled in will generally eat as much as you offer. Careful not to overfeed, dont succumb to the Oscar "feed me" dance. Give the fish time to digest, process its meals and make certain they are producing waste.

Thank you for the advice! I have been feeding 2 - 3 times a day, small portions each time. How much am I supposed to feed them? I have been feeding until their stomach gets a little rounded.

You are doing fine, I wouldnt bulge the belly 3x daily though. Twice would be good 'nuff. You could also do a once daily feed couple times a week. Are the pellets small enough that the fish are not wasting any, like crumbs spewing out the gills? What brand and what size are you using?

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

DedZefyr replied the topic: New Baby O

Try asking the person you got him from what they were feeding him.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Re:New Baby O

annamarie92 wrote:

turtle lover wrote: Does ur lima catfish eats pellets?

The Lima will not eat pellets yet. I've been trying to get her on them but it has been tough. Apparently the Limas are very hard to get off live food, but I've managed to do that. She will eat frozen foods now like shrimp and silversides. I have been stuffing pellets into the piece of shrimp or silversides that she eats but no luck with just pellets yet. She's starting to take interest in the massivore pellets now, she will nudge them with her nose. So hopefully soon she will be!

I doing something similar for my oscar but the food is stuffed with vegetables.

• annamarie92
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Suprd71 wrote:

annamarie92 wrote:

You are doing fine, I wouldnt bulge the belly 3x daily though. Twice would be good 'nuff. You could also do a once daily feed couple times a week. Are the pellets small enough that the fish are not wasting any, like crumbs spewing out the gills? What brand and what size are you using?

I alternate between NLS and Elive brands. Both pellets are the "baby" size pellets. It seems like it's about 7 - 8 pellets per feeding until their belly seems to buldge a slight bit. I do this roughly twice a day. Sometimes I will substitute the evening pellets for a frozen "treat" like shrimp or bloodworms. I just do the twice daily feedings because of their small size. I plan on cutting back when they grow a little. I may be over feeding a slight bit now because I'm just so happy I got them on pellets finally!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.100 seconds