Feeder fish to big for my oscars

• dwyer867
  • dwyer867's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

dwyer867 created the topic: Feeder fish to big for my oscars

Hey everyone so I have a question. I asked my girl friend to stop at the store and grab me some feeder fish for my Oscars but the feeder fish are to big for my Oscars to eat. Will the just get along until my Oscars are big enough to eat them or will my Oscars bully them to point of death

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Feeder fish to big for my oscars

Your Oscars or any cichlid should NEVER have feeder fish. They are a very high risk to transmit parasites, have little nutritional value and contain Thiaminase, an enzyme that prohibits the Oscars ability to take in and process Vitamin B. All round bad thing to do, no benefit what so ever.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Feeder fish to big for my oscars

Suprd71 wrote: Your Oscars or any cichlid should NEVER have feeder fish. They are a very high risk to transmit parasites, have little nutritional value and contain Thiaminase, an enzyme that prohibits the Oscars ability to take in and process Vitamin B. All round bad thing to do, no benefit what so ever.

Yup. A big no no. Does more harm than good and could actually kill your fish. Stick to worms, grasshoppers etc...

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Feeder fish to big for my oscars

While 20% of the oscar's diet is fishes, feeders are not recommended because of parasites and diseases. A substitute may be dead fishes and insects, being 60% of the oscar's diet. Just wondering, do you feed your oscar pellets?

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Feeder fish to big for my oscars

my take on this is that fish in the wild devours feeders too... but they are in the same environment...
if the small fish is infected so do the big fish... however... fish in captivity is a different story, first
you do not know where the feeders came from, and what condition are their health... and yes
it may do more harm than good... plus fish in tank have no where to go when infected while
in the wild, they can find some place where condition s better.

my point is..... if you are sure feeders are properly raised, that is fine ... but if you are
not sure... a big NO to it!

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Feeder fish to big for my oscars

never feed the oscars goldfish or rosy red minnow feeders due to both containing thiaminase.

Parasites can live in the host for many years without any signs that it is harming the host, until one day the immune system of the oscar is compromised and dies due to parasitic infection.

Rocksor wrote: never feed the oscars goldfish or rosy red minnow feeders due to both containing thiaminase.

Parasites can live in the host for many years without any signs that it is harming the host, until one day the immune system of the oscar is compromised and dies due to parasitic infection.

I always thought thiaminase affects only reptiles. What happens if oscars havr too much of it.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Feeder fish to big for my oscars

turtle lover wrote:

Rocksor wrote: never feed the oscars goldfish or rosy red minnow feeders due to both containing thiaminase.

I always thought thiaminase affects only reptiles. What happens if oscars havr too much of it.

Neurological disorders, leading to eventual death.

www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

I remember watching Nat Geo where alligators are in a zombie-like state. It was found that the culprit was gizzard shad and the thiaminase inside it, so some of the fishes were culled.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds