Convict Feeders

• Maxthecax
  • Maxthecax's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

Maxthecax created the topic: Convict Feeders

I was thinking about breeding Convicts as feeders for my O's JD and GT. I have a 45g tank that I would put the convicts in to breed and after about 1 month I would remove the fry and put them in a 20g. All suggestions would be great. Also how many pair of Convicts could I keep in the 45g? How many pairs would I need to have a steady flow of feeders for my other fish. They would only be used as a snack 1-2 a week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Convict Feeders

No benefit or advantage to doing this. May result in heightened aggression in the main tank. Breeding Cons can produce more babies than you can imagine. Pellet staple, with freeze dried or terrestrial(crickets, earthworms,etc) treats is the way to go. A 45 will hold a single pair of Cons.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 18

turtle lover replied the topic: Convict Feeders

I wouldn't think it is a good idea because oscars are primarily insect eaters, not fish eaters. Besides , I know people have done this, I pity the convict parents who work so hard for their babies to be eaten.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Convict Feeders

Personally raising fish to be eaten by other fish who are easily trained to eat pellets, I find quite a bit of work. You end up maintaining 3 tanks instead of just one. The water quality must stay pristine in. all 3 tanks, otherwise you risk of introducing disease to your main tank.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds